MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang just wanted to share a heat of my first ever SCCA event down here in Gainesville FL. it was a Jacksonville chapter visiting our track so naturally i had to go :)

they classed me in CSP and I won! I managed to hit the same damn 2nd slalom cone EVERY heat but i still had the fasted time after a 2sec penalty :thumbup

http://youtu.be/69RHIGCwm-4

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Dude,

What wheel/tire combination? The wheels look to be sixteen inches but I could easily be wrong. Will they allow you to remove the sunroof? So much weight up top with it installed.

- Chester

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey Jmaz you ever go to The Fest?
Gainesville has one of the largest punk rock communitys this side of the Mississippi, every year around Halloween tons of dirty hipster's and their bands descend upon your township to get completely trashed and piss everywhere, I'v been meaning to make it down there for a long time.

P.S. 7AGTE FTW, that thing sounds freakin' awesome.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Aww, that's not a track! I've seen other FL auto-x events laid out similarlyon the youtube, seems they like to take a section of road or track and kind of plop a slalom on it. Is that how your club does it or is it a FL thing?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude,

What wheel/tire combination? The wheels look to be sixteen inches but I could easily be wrong. Will they allow you to remove the sunroof? So much weight up top with it installed.

- Chester
Rota RB 16x8 +20
F 215/45R16 Kumho Ecsta XS
R 225/50R16 Hankook Ventus RS3

yes i think i can remove the sunroof there are a lot of things i can do like raise boost and run fatter tires i just literally got in my car and drove it there and won :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Aww, that's not a track! I've seen other FL auto-x events laid out similarlyon the youtube, seems they like to take a section of road or track and kind of plop a slalom on it. Is that how your club does it or is it a FL thing?
I'm not really sure what u mean we definitely use a road course here but for autoX insurance they have to try to keep cars under 70mph so the straights have slaloms and gates at the exit as an attempt to slow us down a bit thats all...

sometimes we setup the parkinglot at the drag strip but i personally don't like the "sea of cones" i like using an actual road-course because it lets us go faster and take full advantage of the course

I've raced vipers, Porsche, lotus on this course and it can be setup a number of ways i really like it. we have even set it up for drift events :)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
so is like a quasi autox/track day?

like they use cones to keep you slow but not so much you are all over the place?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd say its a pretty technical course especially with the addition of cones. they used almost the whole track but it was definitely way slower than the full course especially with the slaloms for straights.

I would definitely call it autoX

Gainesville is 99% drifters with nissans and 1% stanced civics there is almost no toyota following at all...
that never stopped me :) and my build is arguably more reliable than anything i see around me i do DD it after all

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Rota RB 16x8 +20
F 215/45R16 Kumho Ecsta XS
R 225/50R16 Hankook Ventus RS3

yes i think i can remove the sunroof there are a lot of things i can do like raise boost and run fatter tires i just literally got in my car and drove it there and won :)

Dude,

What kind of hp/torque is your engine producing? I wouldn't recommend fatter tires as I think you'll dull the response and actually slow the car down especially in autocross. I'd like to make an aluminum plug for the sunroof one day; there is a noticeable difference when removing the stock sunroof glass assembly. With the weight removed, the car becomes more nimble with faster transitions.

- Chester

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
jmaz you guys run more than just that course, don't you? I've seen a section of road near the water coned off like that before and I remember it being in FL.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm running 5psi currently but it boost creep very smoothly to 13psi from 5k-8500
I should be making over 250whp
I replaced all my windows in my corolla with lexan and while that did remove a ton of weight I don't think the sunroof weighs that much.
I'd shave more weight using a smaller battery...

I don't know all the courses guys this is my local track and my first event lol

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
This sounds like an odd way to boost. Care to explain?

Good job on the win mate.
Typically boost creep is unintentional, so I doubt it's something he planned from the start. He'll need to address it to boost higher. Porting the flapper hole should help, you might be able to boost a few more psi before it creeps so you get a higher starting boost.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my turbo is pretty small (t28 pretty sure) and i'm on the stock wastegate so i guess my ported head out flows the 5psi wastegate between 5 and 6k

My Megasquirt 3 is setup for boost already i just never installed the solenoid between wastegate and reference because i didn't want to temp myself until i had a few thousand miles on the motor/setup...

so yes the boost creap is un-intentional...

Very important question! when i begin to raise the boost via MS3 it will hold the wastegate closed longer or flutter it but i assumed i wouldn't have any problems controlling boost below my current boost at a given rpm

for example if my turbo hits [email protected] due to creep i should still be able to control anything above [email protected] right?

so then any rpm my wastegate can maintain 5psi 2-5k i should have control above that point?

my reasoning is that if my target boost is higher than whatever im hitting now at a given rpm it should be able to control that yes?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Typically boost creep is unintentional, so I doubt it's something he planned from the start. He'll need to address it to boost higher. Porting the flapper hole should help, you might be able to boost a few more psi before it creeps so you get a higher starting boost.
i guess what i'm saying is that if my target is higher than 13psi everywhere i shouldn't even see creep right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes a electronic boost controller can only turn up the boost from the wastegate spring pressure. get one of those GM boost controllers wired up to the MS3 and get full control. It takes a bit of messing around to run closed loop if you want that.

BTW if you can get a lighter spring in the wastegate actuator I think you will get better resolution in the boost controller.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts