MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Interesting idea. I like the lower profile head result. No post threading of the aluminum pieces required, so that's good. And no need for a lock washer when using a non-flanged hex head.

you sir make a very good point! :geek:
You seem to have it under control, and I'd probably be in for a set of these. But lock washers are crap! I find them really only effective with small fastener/low torque scenarios. If torque is pretty high for the diameter, then lock washers are simply unnecessary. Just go flat. NASA even has a paper that found that in many scenarios a lock washer actually sped up backing out once it started (due to insufficient load)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
RE: L0s7

Good information. Glad I was informed before I made the hardware purchases (y) and what you said about lock washers with low tq applications comes as surprise! Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update

Just had the Top and Bottom Lip Support pieces 3D scanned. While I was VERY close to perfect, nothing beats OEM fitment!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suck so bad. I know for sure mine was installed as I remember seeing it there a year or so ago when I was fitting the foglights. I've got to dig around in my spare parts boxes in storage because I know I have it somewhere. I cant imagine why I would have removed it.
I'm sorry sir. I WILL get back to you ASAP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I suck so bad. I know for sure mine was installed as I remember seeing it there a year or so ago when I was fitting the foglights. I've got to dig around in my spare parts boxes in storage because I know I have it somewhere. I cant imagine why I would have removed it.
I'm sorry sir. I WILL get back to you ASAP.
Thanks a ton my dude :cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So today I got back the 3D scans of the two OEM pieces.

and I was told this was the last one in the country... it just arrived!

Getting there!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Latest update!

After taking this last part above (is apparently the last one new in the country, so I was told :geek: ) to get 3D scanned, I am out of funds for about two weeks!

I also wanted to explain my reasoning behind the 3D scanning. It is not just for preserving the parts but also for making "remaking" them easier and cheaper. With the original 3D scans of the parts I can run FEAs on them to test their strength in the different loading scenarios that they will see. Take that information and create a much simpler version of the parts with less expensive and more available material that do not require any real specialized processing to make. Additionally, based on the suggestion of a certain member here "wildhippie666" for using square holes and carriage bolts, which I will be doing I really think, the width of the Top L&R Lower Lip Support will need to change as well as the Bottom L&R Lip Support will now need the slots instead of Top where they originally were. Functionally identical, but lower lip assembly will be easier now.

I intend to make an original copy and a updated copy with the increased width of the top lip support with the carriage bolts. So we can all see how this will play out.

The part in the picture above is quite the little stinker... its got those bends that flair up at the ends in it... so if someone has an idea of how to make that I am all ears. Sorry for the super bad angle, I'll get better ones when I get the part back next week.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Misc commentary

I can't see how to make the parts much more inexpensive to manufacture off the top of my head, sitting in an armchair not working at it. But I can say the weight should stay minimized, rigidity maximized. More mass will just make the bumper sag elsewhere over time, unless it is bracketed to something solid in a couple places as well..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Misc commentary

I can't see how to make the parts much more inexpensive to manufacture off the top of my head, sitting in an armchair not working at it. But I can say the weight should stay minimized, rigidity maximized. More mass will just make the bumper sag elsewhere over time, unless it is bracketed to something solid in a couple places as well..
Current OEM lips pieces that I am working on, are 0.094 lbs, and the new one would be 0.337 lbs... weight will not be an issue. An if you look at where the support pieces are they would have to be somewhere in the 20 lb range to sag. Don't worry my friend ;) I DO still need to run the FEA for strength testing... but I can say with like 99% accuracy that this also wont be an issue.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I just figure you wouldnt be the first.
Youve got a good chunk done already, right? Just got to start printing. So do a preorder, cut me a deal, get money in, finish production and everyone wins
Step two is most important lol

Seriously, though, Im stoked to see folks making things to help others out

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have outlined the initial cost:

Waterjet cutting is only an approximate cost:

What is only left to do is output the DXF files to the people cutting the sheets. Then we are test ready!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Okay Everyone, I have Narrowed down the first batch to be of two two configurations/Sets. #1 or #2.

#1 is OEM With all the features. basically everything you would find on the OEM parts is in this set. *all holes for bolt studs are sized for a M6 tap hole so I can tap them and thread the bolts in afterwards, where applicable.

#2 is OEM Simplified. Meaning only what is needed to attach the supports to the vehicle. *Ends are squared when applicable and all holes for bolt studs are sized for a M6 tap hole so I can tap them and thread the bolts in afterwards, where applicable.

Please state you preference. Set #1 or Set #2. Pictures below.

I will be making a Set #3 a little later that will flip the bolt studs to be on the top support a and they will have carriage bolts that will be pressed in. This will make for installing lips easier because you will not be able to threads the nuts directly from the bottom as opposed to reaching your hand up and around the lip supports. I think I already talked about this ;)

Okay! so guys!

LMK!!!

Pardon the below pic. My paranoia is kicking in, lol

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts