MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Posts with pics?
1,028 Posts
Not trying to s**** anyone here. I am too grateful to all of you to do you all like that.

For real though, in fairness to me and you all it would be just that. Fair
You're a good dude, jsb03f.
As parts are getting harder to find, some individuals are price gouging and it's gone beyond ridiculous. One of the other forums accepts donations to defray the cost of keeping the board active. I throw a few bucks over there sometimes to support the cause. But what burns my ass is some of these g.d. parts sellers who over charge for the used parts they have and never donate a dime to support the website that gives them the opportunity to advertise and make money off the sale of their overpriced parts. I'm not referring to folks like RacerX or ATS (even though an occasional five bucks wouldn't hurt). The guys who sell a few parts once in a while are cool. They don't get stock on a regular basis. Just a couple of items from time to time and I don't have a problem with them. I won't mention any of the offenders, but it's not hard to see the sellers that support the board and who doesn't. Some of them have been over there selling parts for YEARS, getting more items to sell every week, and never made one single donation. And they've started gouging.
It's a fact and we've all seen it creep up on us. I came close to parting out my car over a $60.00 part that sellers were asking $350-$400. I'm not gonna be raped by these goons. I finally found it for $45 from a seller who's not an A-HOLE.

End rant.

Mods, remove this if you want. I got it off my chest.
I just wanted to commend jsb03f for his efforts and fairness and it got out of hand lol. Sorry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Results of copying curve of lower support to upper support seen below,

conclusion: seems that OEM curvature is needed for a perfect fit. However, it does work! But I feel that the OEM curve is much better at maintaining the shape of the bumper. You will notice the gap in the picture in the curve between the test piece and the bumper.

**there will NEED to be two separate pieces
**curvature of OEM top L&R splitter support is mandatory

***Test OEM top L&R splitter support piece is now in the works

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but yes, if you want to do it right, getting these additional retainer pieces are the way to go. There are various threads and comments around saying that adding a 93+ lip to a 91-92 can be done without these pieces, but it seems like it's a struggle and if you're not careful, it won't look too great. I'm mostly fine with how my '91 looks already (no plans to change to the kouki tail lights), but I do prefer the updated lip and I don't want to half-ass it.
If you have a 91-92 bumper you will have to drill holes in it next to existing holes to fit 93+ or greddy lip.
Would this also aid in fitment of a Kaminari lip? I find it sits back a bit to far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm pretty sure I still have the upper middle piece on mine. You need a picture with dimensions or what do you need?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm pretty sure I still have the upper middle piece on mine. You need a picture with dimensions or what do you need?
Negative, you are the Man. Yes!

Imagine I am a vendor that has to make this part for you ;) "IF" you'd like to make a manufacturing drawing (sans tolerances).
Luckily it doesn't look all that complex.

I gustimated and threw together something of what would basically make the part possible. THIS IS NOT THE REAL DRAWING, just a visual representation I created.

:cool::cool:

What ever you can provide will be a helpful start! :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Could just about go with square holes and do carriage bolts, might save some cost
Interesting idea. I like the lower profile head result. No post threading of the aluminum pieces required, so that's good. And no need for a lock washer when using a non-flanged hex head.

you sir make a very good point! :geek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Negative, you are the Man. Yes!

Imagine I am a vendor that has to make this part for you ;) "IF" you'd like to make a manufacturing drawing (sans tolerances). View attachment 71282 Luckily it doesn't look all that complex.

I gustimated and threw together something of what would basically make the part possible. THIS IS NOT THE REAL DRAWING, just a visual representation I created.

:cool::cool:
View attachment 71283

What ever you can provide will be a helpful start! :cool::cool::cool:
Luckily I'm an engineer and former draftsman. We can see how rusty my CAD skills are or I can just take your sketch above and do a thorough markup. Let me pull it off this weekend and get you what you need. No worries at all.
Off-topic but my lower bumper under the radiator has a serious case of limpness. I assume I'm missing a piece in there similar to this one? Will you be recreating that one? Hell, even a duplicate of this one would work with perhaps a slight bit of fab - nothing that isn't a normal Tuesday for me anyway but I thought I'd get it from you if it becomes available.

PM me if I forget to get back with you by Monday (I do that occasionally).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes!! I was just thinking it would be a matter of time before someone was able to remake these parts as I and many others have been looking for them. Thank you for your work into this and add me to the list as well! I've been using washers and bolts to roughly hold the lip to the bumper a la Sara-N-Tuned (although it works well enough for how much went into it), I'd much prefer closer to OEM brackets! Good luck with the rest of the process and can't wait to see the final product!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great, if you feel like taking a stab at CAD, maybe rekindle the old flame? Might be fun? A markup of my cough masterpiece would also be just as good.

"...Off-topic..." Precisely spot on topic actually! Since I am also in need of this piece, ordered 76861-17030 Lower Center Spoiler Retainer July 2nd and its on its way, once I get my hands on it i can see how this can be remade too! Assuming #7 is what your in need of?

Of course, Ill drop a line if I don't hear from ya by EOD Monday.

Would you mind posting a picture too of the part?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Great, if you feel like taking a stab at CAD, maybe rekindle the old flame? Might be fun? A markup of my cough masterpiece would also be just as good.

"...Off-topic..." Precisely spot on topic actually! Since I am also in need of this piece, ordered 76861-17030 Lower Center Spoiler Retainer July 2nd and its on its way, once I get my hands on it i can see how this can be remade too! Assuming #7 is what your in need of?

Of course, Ill drop a line if I don't hear from ya by EOD Monday.

Would you mind posting a picture too of the part?

View attachment 71287
i was told by Toyota that no number 7’s existed in the United States and amayama who gets parts from japan said the same. Are you sure you found one?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts