MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know getting parts is difficult for these cars. So I thought, why not reverse engineer what we do have and make the ones we can't get!

76864-17020 is still available but 76863-17040 is not. One is just the mirror of the other though, so easy enough to make.

Modeled the original in CAD, took some tries to get it right. Printing to scale and overlaying the print to the OG part. Took about 5 tries to get it right.

Then sourced a suitable materials that would be enough easy to make replacement out of. McMaster Carr has got us covered there.

Simplified the design while maintaining structural performance (material selection).

Found appropriate length hardware to go with it aaaaaaand you get:

Nested on a 48x48in sheet of raw material I can no to elegantly fit 72 pieces, that means a total of 36 sets.

Depending on how the community responds I CAN make this a thing. I do not believe anyone else is making these?

If you see there will either be hex head or socket head bolts. I am most likely going with hex head.

I am making this initially for myself. because, "I" want to. This is a PSA for anyone who is interested in also getting some. It is more cost effective the more we make. So, this is why I am reaching out to anyone who might be in need :)

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you checked if these are equavalent to the second retainer on each side 76858-17020? If its the same you would get 4 parts out of 1 design. I'm tempted depending on price. Mine are disintegrating but currently holding.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, I'm currently still in need of 76863-17040, so I'd be interested. Would you sell either piece individually, or as sets only? What would the ETA be for availability? And curious about price range, of course.

The other 93+ parts you might want to consider if you get production going would be for 76853-17020, the upper center piece with 5 studs attached, and 76861-17030, the corresponding lower piece.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What is this for? I know it says spoiler retainer, I just dont know what it does exactly
Primarily they are basically reinforced attachment points for the lip to the bottom edge of the bumper. Secondary purpose I'd say would be to help retain the shape of the lip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked if these are equavalent to the second retainer on each side 76858-17020? If its the same you would get 4 parts out of 1 design. I'm tempted depending on price. Mine are disintegrating but currently holding.
Good Idea, I just now looked and there are slight differences in width and total length, overall shape is the same. But it is so slight that I'd take that chance! ... Okay so thinking about it even more, and having the parts and front bumper and lip in front of me, I am almost positive that we could use the same overall envelop dimensions for the upper L & R Spoiler Retainer.

- Blom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm currently still in need of 76863-17040, so I'd be interested. Would you sell either piece individually, or as sets only? What would the ETA be for availability? And curious about price range, of course.

The other 93+ parts you might want to consider if you get production going would be for 76853-17020, the upper center piece with 5 studs attached, and 76861-17030, the corresponding lower piece.
I'd sell them as you'd get them from the dealer, piece at a time if you need or a set for reduced cost. Not trying to s**** anyone here. I am too grateful to all of you to do you all like that ;) I am in the process of 3D printing the bottom (and now top) retainers to make sure everything fits as it should. As for the studs that are in the lower retainers they will be included. Since there is nothing important right below that area in OEM form the extra height of a Hex Head bolt will be of no concern.

ETA is up in the air but I may have bought $400 of raw material by accident last night :rolleyes: sigh

As they say, measure twice cut once but in this case it will be water-jet cutting and CAD dimensions... so it be perfect in CAD it gonna be perfect IRL! :D

For the 76853-17020 Upper Center piece I would need to get my hands on one to see what is possible... know a guy?

Price range will depend on material cost and what I want to pay myself. Ya know, all that printer paper I used to mach up and see if my CAD model was right, lol. For real though, in fairness to me and you all it would be just that. Fair

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, front lip piece, got it.
I'd be interested in one based on price
Aren't we all driven by the price point ;)

When I know you will know

Right now feeling out who wants/needs what. Wanted to see if what I was going to do just for me would be of help to anyone else. To more people want this the cheaper it will be

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Im assuming, please tell me if Im wrong, that this will make fitting a 93+ onto a 91 easier, yes?
I have a 91 and need a lip for it. Looks wonky without, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Also, THANK YOU for trying to fill gaps in this world
I made a post at MR2 about we're losing a lot of things from dealer and many aftermarket, but, thankfully, some folks are trying to recreate the things we want and need.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Thanks for doing this!

I needed these items. Toyota is out globally. I ended up building them myself. It was a PITA.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Im assuming, please tell me if Im wrong, that this will make fitting a 93+ onto a 91 easier, yes?
I haven't tried it yet, but yes, if you want to do it right, getting these additional retainer pieces are the way to go. There are various threads and comments around saying that adding a 93+ lip to a 91-92 can be done without these pieces, but it seems like it's a struggle and if you're not careful, it won't look too great. I'm mostly fine with how my '91 looks already (no plans to change to the kouki tail lights), but I do prefer the updated lip and I don't want to half-ass it.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If you have a 91-92 bumper you will have to drill holes in it next to existing holes to fit 93+ or greddy lip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A resounding Yes.

And thanks for the motivation. It is helping with putting in a solid effort to make this a reality!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, this is where we are now

have the 3D prints nested and ready to go.

I noticed that when lining everything up the curvatures are not identical. There is slop in the OEM parts (well duh bro) and that is what the slots are for. I took the easy way this time and copied the curvature of the lower supports to the upper supports. Only shortening the widening the upper ones to reflect the OEM part. We shall see!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts