MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone attempt this? is it even do-able .. within reasonable price range of course.

#1 thing i would like to add to 3SGTE is 6spds tranny.

i believe a modern "great' sports coupe should have a 6spds tranny.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
also ... many modern great sports coupes do have 6-speed trannies, but even the youngest Gen II is now 10 years old :(

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
jjcnsx said:
Anyone attempt this? is it even do-able .. within reasonable price range of course.

#1 thing i would like to add to 3SGTE is 6spds tranny.

i believe a modern "great' sports coupe should have a 6spds tranny.
can you explain why? the new celicas are 6spd coupes and theyre not impressive. The gearing on the 3sgte is good for over 200mph.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
jerzefigga said:
can you explain why? the new celicas are 6spd coupes and theyre not impressive. The gearing on the 3sgte is good for over 200mph.
that would take some serious mods and a significantly higher redline

·
Registered
227 Posts
Man, 6spd would be the best,
So has anyone looked into having one built at all?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I thought stock rev limit on 3sgte and stock box was roughly 165mph.

Anyone know which site has the calculator on where you put your tyre seize and rpm in to get an actual speed?

Graeme

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
ramicio said:
lol 200 mph? maybe if you raise the redline to like 8500.

to have a turbo big enough to run to 200mph your looking at reving the crap outta the motor aready..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am not looking for higher top speed.. As a matter of fact, i never used the "6th" gear on my supra tt and my nsx on the track.

Yup!! that is right, the only benefit is: It sure feel cool to have "6th" crusing gear (save gas). & more "MODERN" :evillaugh

oh.. and minor side benefit: I like the shorter shift interval between gears... and less RPM drop in between... :smile:

jerzefigga said:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
READ what I put you guys. the GEARING is setup to go up to 200mph. of course you need the power and better aerodynamics to reach that speed. :rolleyes:

lDeeZ lNuTz I didnt suggest the celica tranny swap for the car, I was asking him why he thinks a great modern sports coupe needs a 6 speed. a 5 speed does its job pretty damn well. 6 speed is just for advertising purposes IMO, just like emphasizing a 50/50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok boys and girls.. thank you for all the inputs...

i fully understand "with the right amount of money, anything is possible.." , but, unfortunately, i don thave such a luxury...

pls let me re-emphraise my question... "within the reasonble price range". Custom made a 6spds box is really not my piggy bank allows. I was thinking more like: using an existing 6spds gearbox (from another car), and mount to 3SGTE.

anyone?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
well, the 05' mr2 spyder comes with a 6 speed SMT transmission, good luck on getting THAT to work lol.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts