MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was just woundering did anyone hear of anyone fitting a 6speed gear box to a 1988 mr2 mk1. if any body has any i deas.. i heard the gear box out of the toyota bzr fits the engine block but as for drive shafts and clutchs and gear box mounts. thanks..

·
Registered
173 Posts
drive shafts?

quille said:
hey i was just woundering did anyone hear of anyone fitting a 6speed gear box to a 1988 mr2 mk1. if any body has any i deas.. i heard the gear box out of the toyota bzr fits the engine block but as for drive shafts and clutchs and gear box mounts. thanks..

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
quille said:
Shoot me an email if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
easy to do. we did one about 5 years ago.
oh - you use the std aw11 axles with the 4ag box. if you happen to want to use a celica 2zz box (with adaptor plates) you have to use 3sg/5sg axles.

T

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
._T_. said:
easy to do. we did one about 5 years ago.
oh - you use the std aw11 axles with the 4ag box. if you happen to want to use a celica 2zz box (with adaptor plates) you have to use 3sg/5sg axles.

T
What did you use the adaptor plates for?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
yigglypuff said:
check this place out, they can build you a 6-speed that'll bolt in.
http://www.wcengineering.com/service.html
No they won't that's only for the MK1 and C-series transmissions. The 3S uses a different bell housing altogether and that is the problem. But, if the e-51 from the SC is really a turbo tranny with a different bell housing then it could work but no one has tried that on a 3S yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i also want a 6-speed...So if i can find one i will make one work..What sc i thoguth they were rear wheeldrive? i always wondered about the celicas 6 but i always thought i would be weak...Maybe ill jsut a buy up a few toyota 6-speed i knwo that are laying around and pull the internals and see what i can do change cases mod bell house's, intererals, I have a 6-speed in our eurospec e36 m3 and i dont kwno how i could drive with out one...

I also put a s4 drivetrain in an costomers a4 And that made a huge difference...id like some more info if anyone has it...has anyone actually tried it yet?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow dont everybody post at once...

Guess im the only one interested in doing this?
Well i let every one knwo of my findings...If anyone has any info post or email me thanks...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I have a celica 6 speed on my 88MK1 GTE. This is all I needed to do to make it fit, replace the diff bearings on the bell housing to match the 6 speed beairngs, swap bell housing to the C series bell housing and use MK2 NA axles. Last thing, the shift selector assembly has to be removed and the adjusters moved 180 deg. so the shifter cables attach and function correctly. The selector arm faces up on the celica and down on the MK1. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
thanks for the imput im glad somone finally reply...But

Im talking about puting a 6-Speed in my mkII Thats the info im looking for...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
desperodoz:

I hope this helps you a bit. I have found that the center sectoin of the MKI supercharged tranny (the part with the gear set in it) is exactly the same as the MK2 turbo tranny. So, the MKII turbo e153 bell will bolt up to the center sectoin of the supercharged MKI tranny. It may (and thats a big MAY) be possible to bolt the MKII turbo e153 bell directly to the c160 but I just havent seen clear enough pics to convince me to try it.

So, if the c-160 is just a modified version of the c-50 or c-52 it could be possible to retrofit an S series bellhousing onto this tranny.

Anybody have any more info on this?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks great responese...I glad we finally got some people in onthis topic...

My intentions were to try jsut what you were talking about, My only consern was Is the C series transmission strong enough to take the abuse of a turbo...I mean ive done redline drop countless times on my 3rd ged equipt with a td06 and with a t04B...Running 30psi and have not hade any tranny issues...I hate to start breaking stuff after putting it together...Also what about axel's.

If you are retaning the S bellhousing, i would assume i could use one of the count less lsd units or even jsut the stock one to retain the axels...

If anyone has any pics of those other transmissions that would be great

The one thing i never liked about the mr2 is the shifting i always found it very rough, they are jsut not smooth at all downshifting banging gears, jsut isnt pretty in an Mr. I wonder if the 6-speed celicas are any better?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Obviously I have been thinking about this for a long time.

Bassed on what I see on the caseing it looks like this is a tough transmission. I would like to get a look at the gearset though. The bad news is that the s54 axels would have to be used with the transmission - ICK. I think the best bet with the 6-speed would be to build a frankentranny if possible.

Here is what I hope will be possible:

Center housing from the c-160
Gearset from the c-160
LSD diff for the e153 (mr2 turbo) with berrings from the c-160
Bellhousing from the e153 etc...
Axels from MKII turbo or V6

That would be ideal and I expect its verry possible. I have rebuilt several e153 transmissions before and there is in fact room for a few more forks in there. So, its possible this is a rework of the E series transmission. Although the end cap where 6th gear would sit looks a bit different. The problem we will most likely run into is that the rods the shift forks are attached to move into and out of recesses in the 5speed tranny bell housing. If two additional rods are in the case, it is highly likely that the hellhousing will need to be reworked. The bell of the e153 is cast with only two protrusions into the space where the pressure plate sits.

So, now what cars had the 6speed in them? There are obviously a lot of IF's in this post but im willing to spend some money to experiment if you guys can help me source a tranny. I will do a full wrightup with photos and everything. Worst comes to worst I will have a 6 speed for a MKI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
node said:
Center housing from the c-160
Gearset from the c-160
LSD diff for the e153 (mr2 turbo) with berrings from the c-160
Bellhousing from the e153 etc...
Axels from MKII turbo or V6
Just what i was thinking and ment...Im defintly down ive bin wanting a 6speed since i bought my first mr2 when i was 16...

I have a couple e153 laying around right now...My intentions were jsut that to buy a c-160 and build a hybrid transmission..Im here for technical help as well im goin to be doing the same thing so maybe we can work together im in pa dont kwno fi your close but i will be more then willing to share all the pics info specs measurements...I have a line on a c-160 With a busted bellhousing :thumbup Perfect for what i need it for and hopefully cheap enough that if it fails, im not out to much and at least i tried then...

So what about gearing and drivablity as i was saying before? any idea or drivably with the C, and gearing? ive never drivin in a car with them i wonder if it is disaerable for a turbo car... Ive done over 160mph+(friendly fuzz radar) :evillaugh in my mr2 now i dont think i need a gear to go faster jsut it revs so high jsut crussing and to jsut give it, Hopfully more apealing shift range...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts