MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I had a feeling i overshot my original target so at this point im assuming i should just use my megasquirt 2 or just stick to an NA build for now?
If you can get the Megasquirt working that would give you what you need to run the 460cc injectors and more turbo options too. The NA route is also doable but the biggest hurdle is getting a better intake manifold. I ran mine for a couple of years without the turbo using 315cc injectors, SMT6 and an overclocked ECU and it worked very well. You are already part way there with the cams, rods and valves. Once you have a method for tuning and the intake manifold figured out it puts your build on a different level. What compression ratio are the pistons?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you can get the Megasquirt working that would give you what you need to run the 460cc injectors and more turbo options too. The NA route is also doable but the biggest hurdle is getting a better intake manifold. I ran mine for a couple of years without the turbo using 315cc injectors, SMT6 and an overclocked ECU and it worked very well. You are already part way there with the cams, rods and valves. Once you have a method for tuning and the intake manifold figured out it puts your build on a different level. What compression ratio are the pistons?

Its stock compression 9-5-1 i figured it was still good to work with. I was thinking of doing the 1mzfe throttle body swap and just have someone weld it up right for me then smoothen it out with my dremel bits. I did kind of flip flop around with the build hard to stick with one idea when there is so many untraditional options

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was one of those people from 6GC.net that built a good running 5S-FTE back in the mid-2000's. Some of us did use 315cc injectors at first but they really weren't large enough and we all outgrew them pretty quickly. I believe I used red, high impedance RX-7 injectors, although I can't really remember what size they were now. You definitely need some form of knock monitoring. Our engines were all 94+. (My specific engine was a low mileage 1999 5S-FE so knock sensor and MHG standard)
I'm not here to dissuade you from your project, but it is worth mentioning that every single one of us eventually swapped to 3S-GTE.

edit: 460cc injectors High Impedence
View attachment 73168
ya i know pretty much every person i sourced my parts locally from told me they all have 3s swaps now but they all started with 5sfte now but they all said to enjoy the journey and itll help me get ready for a future swap but i might as well take my right of passage and finish what i started. Thanks for the advice brother

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
134 Posts
ya i know pretty much every person i sourced my parts locally from told me they all have 3s swaps now but they all started with 5sfte now but they all said to enjoy the journey and itll help me get ready for a future swap but i might as well take my right of passage and finish what i started. Thanks for the advice brother
No worries, sir. I remember being exactly where you are and those other guys are absolutely correct; Enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Its stock compression 9-5-1 i figured it was still good to work with. I was thinking of doing the 1mzfe throttle body swap and just have someone weld it up right for me then smoothen it out with my dremel bits. I did kind of flip flop around with the build hard to stick with one idea when there is so many untraditional options
Yeah that is the fun of experimenting and learning about this stuff. I still have my 5sfte and never went 3sgte. FYI the throttle body won't get you much without a better intake manifold from my experience. It is expensive to have a manifold made but there are other cheaper ways to modify the stock one. It won't be as good as one that is purpose made but should be an improvement over stock. I have a prototype here where I welded a 2-1/2" pipe onto the back of a stock manifold to create a larger plenum space and shorten the runners. Haven't tested it yet. The engine I made it for has has Delta cams, 3sgte valves, springs and rods too. You might be able to make something similar if you know someone who can TIG weld.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah that is the fun of experimenting and learning about this stuff. I still have my 5sfte and never went 3sgte. FYI the throttle body won't get you much without a better intake manifold from my experience. It is expensive to have a manifold made but there are other cheaper ways to modify the stock one. It won't be as good as one that is purpose made but should be an improvement over stock. I have a prototype here where I welded a 2-1/2" pipe onto the back of a stock manifold to create a larger plenum space and shorten the runners. Haven't tested it yet. The engine I made it for has has Delta cams, 3sgte valves, springs and rods too. You might be able to make something similar if you know someone who can TIG weld.
Hell ya that looks really unique let me know if it works im willing to give it a shot to fabricate the oem manifold

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
134 Posts
Dug this up for you over the vacation. This is a buddy of mine's 5S-FTE project from back in the day. In my experience, no one built a better 5S-FTE than this guy. This is his wife's personal car/build.
my 5SFTE turbo project - 6G Celicas Forums
I would caution to read through the entire way. We made some mistakes along the way in those days.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dug this up for you over the vacation. This is a buddy of mine's 5S-FTE project from back in the day. In my experience, no one built a better 5S-FTE than this guy. This is his wife's personal car/build.
my 5SFTE turbo project - 6G Celicas Forums
I would caution to read through the entire way. We made some mistakes along the way in those days.
Ive came across that write but just recently made it an issure to actually read everything instead of what i just want to know

21 - 29 of 29 Posts