MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back again, trying to keep this WTB working for racers.

Several weeks ago, I did my best Peter Doane impression at CMP, blowing up my motor. Rod end through block. I am now looking for a good, low miles 5SFE replacement to get my car back on the track. Need an MR2 or Celica motor, to avoid the whole Camry balance shaft thing. Thought about swaps, but this makes the best sense.

If you have one, PM, e-mail or call me at 770-539-0187.
Ideally, you would be located less than three miles from my house. If not, I can pick up a reasonable distance from Gainesville, Georgia[think: Road Atlanta]

Help a brother out.

Ed Bird
Gainesville, Georgia
[email protected]

'91 N/A, currently resting on jackstands

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Peter. It was an adventure, for sure.

It was the, I guess, no. 4 cylinder, closest to the flywheel. That's probably the reason the fire was small and quickly out, being the shallow part of the oil pan. Right hand corner, so as soon as I straightened out to the left to get off course, the oil that was left ran to the deep end of the pan. Seems to be failed bolts; When I take it out, I'll report back. That may be soon.

I have first refusal, thanks to Vishal[above], on a '94 complete MR2 motor, including the tranny forty miles away, 106K and a swap[for a 3sgte], so was running good. $250 I'll be jumping on that ASAP. I'd bet the scrap value is 50-60% of that.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
I think #4 is the last one to get oil (pumps from the front to the back) so maybe something was blocking a pasage

Remember you'll have to switch some items (distributor, throttle body, cold start injector, etc.) to get the '94 to work with your '91 engine harness.

You need to find a shop nearby that does JDM turbo swaps. They wind up being happy for me to take away the "discarded" 5SFEs. Saves them a trip to the dump.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still looking for a motor. The craigslist guy mentioned above seems to have disappeared, but I haven't given up on that yet. Let me know if you know about something, somewhere relatively near me. After working NASA E. Championship day one at turn one, I'm chomping at the bit to get back on track.

Ed Bird

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My motor search is, I hope, now over. I have purchased, through Copart, a '92 T-top N/A car with light front and LF damage and 162K on the clock. Motor is guaranteed to have run when delivered to copart. That's OK, because I intend to do the bottom end before I install, anyway.

Interesting process, the auction. All over in about three minutes. We bid in at 325, that was bumped to 350 and we raised to 375. Fifteen seconds later I was the proud owner of my fifth [current] Toyota. If anyone out there was one of the three others bidding, let me know what you need, maybe we can work something out,. Or if you just need anything off a street car, let me know; I promise good racer-to-racer, brother-in-law, 'I know a guy...' prices. To all of you who sent me leads of one sort or another, particularly KBrew, Thanks. I really appreciate the effort.

Ed Bird
Soon to be back on the track

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My motor search is, I hope, now over. I have purchased, through Copart, a '92 T-top N/A car with light front and LF damage and 162K on the clock. Motor is guaranteed to have run when delivered to copart. That's OK, because I intend to do the bottom end before I install, anyway.

Interesting process, the auction. All over in about three minutes. We bid in at 325, that was bumped to 350 and we raised to 375. Fifteen seconds later I was the proud owner of my fifth [current] Toyota. If anyone out there was one of the three others bidding, let me know what you need, maybe we can work something out,. Or if you just need anything off a street car, let me know; I promise good racer-to-racer, brother-in-law, 'I know a guy...' prices. To all of you who sent me leads of one sort or another, particularly KBrew, Thanks. I really appreciate the effort.

I haven't reported back on this as I promised, but here's an update.

I have just positioned the engine hoist/lowerer at the rear of the track car, so you all know where I am with that. The rod bolts did fail, and I do have three holes in the engine, two in the pan, one in the exhaust side of the block, with the rod protruding. I'll pull the pan and head when I get it out, and let you 5SFE guys know what I find.

As far as the salvage car goes, I couldn't be more pleased. In fact, I'm a little too pleased. The car is in such good shape, I am considering rebuilding it and selling/keeping it. If you've heard salvage car horror stories, this most definitely is not one.

I drove to Knoxville, and CoPart put the car directly on my trailer with a Cat 988-based forklift with fifteen foot long forks. They placed it on the trailer within six inches of the balance point I use for the track car. It had been hit, or had hit at about the level of the middle of the headlights, like the bumper deal from an 18 wheeler had bent the lights, crinkled up the frunk lid, but stopped after about two feet. The radiator cross-brace was bent from the frunk lid latch pulling it backwards. The bumper cover was punched in and cracked, but the understructure was not affected. The fenders are slightly damaged, but repairable. The airbag was deployed.

When I went to unload it and opened the door, the courtesy light came on, so when I rolled it off, I tried to start it. Cranked right up, ran good, no smoke, no leaks. Everything inside worked, and it looked like the accident happened right after a visit to the detail shop. I stuffed the deployed airbag back into the wheel, and drove it around the block. Ran straight, pulled strong, shifted well, even up to 50 mph, and in 5th. After this, the engine exhibited no oil or fluid leaks. It also has a Sony XAV-63 DVD receiver [$329 list], and is wired for giant speakers, though the stock ones work just fine. My only disappointment was that what I thought were 15" wheels were actually 14". But they even have new tires. All in all, a well cared for car

I will be attempting to sell the car complete, as is, after I pull the motor. I'll post pictures on the 'For Sale' page. Anyone interested?

Ed Bird
Hoping to be back on the track in November[Daytona!!] or December [RAtl]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just realized that I didn't 'pay off' this part of the thread.

Vishal, I appreciate your reply and followed up on it. I had two phone conversations and one text session with this individual. My last contact was him saying he'd e-mail directions and his address. That was my last contact. The phone then started going to a 'no mailbox' message and e-mail contact attempts through Craig's List were not responded to. I then pursued other avenues, as written above.

I would still welcome talking to this individual, and would but this motor tomorrow, if he's out there.

Ed Bird
more 5sfe's than running cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts