MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting turbo kit for 5sfe? i found a kit that i was going to buy for stock motor, and i was wondering where can i get cams for 5sfe? anyone give me links?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
save some money for a replecement engine....80% of all 5sfe turbos kits end up diying.
if your going to turbo it, pay some attenion to the interanls.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
^Probably good advice. Although the 5sfe is practically unkillable in stock form, the general consensus is that they can't handle much boost. My cousin has had his turbo 5sfe running for a couple years on stock internals for a couple years now though, go figure. If you don't change out the internals, at least make sure you have a good tune and good intercooling.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i just want stock engine but a little of fun, i know i wont be boosting the hell out of it unless i have an extra engine on the side i can swap right away so i be watching my boosting and engine, i found a kit that works great for stock 5sfe motor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here the info the guy selling the kit, the specs This kit is not a cheap aftermarket kit most parts are genuine Toyota parts(exhaust manifold,oil pan for 5sfe-t,(4)360cc injectors,3bar turbo MAP senor),HKS Racing blow off valve,stainless oil return line, ,intake & exhaust piping are heat coated(bottom section of the exhaust piping is required welding connect to your stock exhaust piping but i already welded together for previous installation, no modification needed for MR2) & the Garrett turboTB0344 is designed for 5sfe performance map,runs 5-7psi low boost produce 190HP safe for 5sfe engine internal,better low end torque with 2.2L higher compression & smoother acceleration, less turbo lag, turbo kick in faster than stock turbo(Garrett turbochargers commonly use on factory import vehicles like toyota,nissan,mitsubishi)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
A low boost 5sfe should last for a pretty long time. Mine lasted for a year at 15-20 psi... then the rods gave out. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is a guy selling a kit on 6gc.net for a celica and he ran it at 17 psi making 285 fwhp dd for years with stock unopened 5sfe

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that nice, good job for good info that i can hear other people does this and it safe. i would get a gen 3 3sgte but i need to buy a whole clip and i wanted a gen3 but i would like to rebuild the motor before i can do a swap. i want everything right but for now 5sfe is good for commuter and add turbo for fun...

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
A boosted 5sfe should last you a while just make sure you get fresh bearings, I know this because my uncle had a boosted 5sfe on his mr2 many years ago,He ran with a turbo until I was old enough to drive.Topend performance can also build up a 5sfte to handle about 350hp if money is not an issue.

I have had a 455rwhp built gen 3 motor before and a 300hp built J spec 3sgte before,from my experience it had its good days and bad days.As long as you beef up the internals on a 5sfe to handle the amount of boost you desire I think you'll be fine.

Its funny when people say 5sfe will crap out at this and that time, but nobody has ever build one up to handle boost and run on a tuned standalone with adequate fuel delivery,Its not a cheap route but engine is an engine,it will only be as good as what you out into it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If your planning on running a stock unopened 5sfe under boost, just make sure the engine is in good condition. Check the compression, fix any oil leaks, give it a proper tune-up. IIRC, it's recommended to run plugs one heat range colder than stock to help prevent detonation. Also, don't forget to retard the ignition timing or run an MSD box that retards the timing only under boost. Oh, and make sure your clutch will hold up against the added torque it will be putting out.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
that's right! standalone and some decent time tuning is the key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
here the info the guy selling the kit, the specs This kit is not a cheap aftermarket kit most parts are genuine Toyota parts(exhaust manifold,oil pan for 5sfe-t,(4)360cc injectors,3bar turbo MAP senor),HKS Racing blow off valve,stainless oil return line, ,intake & exhaust piping are heat coated(bottom section of the exhaust piping is required welding connect to your stock exhaust piping but i already welded together for previous installation, no modification needed for MR2) & the Garrett turboTB0344 is designed for 5sfe performance map,runs 5-7psi low boost produce 190HP safe for 5sfe engine internal,better low end torque with 2.2L higher compression & smoother acceleration, less turbo lag, turbo kick in faster than stock turbo(Garrett turbochargers commonly use on factory import vehicles like toyota,nissan,mitsubishi)
what kit is that?

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,187 Posts
Wow, this is an old thread. I'm pretty sure the 3SGTE turbo setup will bolt up to the 5SFE. The oil pan will as well. You'll need all the other accessories as well as a good ECU to tune it on. In the grand scheme of things, it may be cheaper to swap to a 3SGTE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts