MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these trannies identical? Will a 5SFE tranny bolt into a 3SGE engine straight up? I know they are both S54, just want to make sure.

TIA

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
I am pretty sure the 3sge has taller gears thats part of the reason people with them are able to hit hi speeds in excess of 140. As far as them bolting right up I don't see why not because I have heard of others using the 5s tranny on their 3s. Ask boostedPenguin he would know since he is doing this on his 3rd gen.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
gen2 is identical, gen3 i believe has the taller final drive, but im hearing mixed things..

either way, it bolts straight up.

i think the 5sfe mr2's s54 could hit 140mph with a ~7000rpm redline and the power to do so?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I know somebody that hit 140 in thier 94 *cough* I dont think it reached redline, but then again he was trying to keep his eyes on the road and not on the dash.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have any of you guys considered bumping redline at all?
I'm curious as to if it's a fuel cut or an ignition cut that's implemented. I'm guessing it's an ignition cut (as they seem to be far more common), but am still uncertain.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
A difference of about 6% isn't much: so instead of revving at 4k at 80mph, you'll be at ~ 3760rpm, assuming stock tire and rim sizes.

Maybe that's one way to find out the real truth?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. So I guess I wont have any problems then... I'm about to sell my 5SFE tranny and it will be mated to a 3SGE. Just trying to make sure that he won't return the tranny once its sold. :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
CrawlingEye said:
Have any of you guys considered bumping redline at all?
I'm curious as to if it's a fuel cut or an ignition cut that's implemented. I'm guessing it's an ignition cut (as they seem to be far more common), but am still uncertain.
Almost all are fuel cut actually, ignition cut damages cats so it isn't used on street cars.

Bumping the redline up would give you higher top speed potential, but the stock 5S-FE has no power up top anyway, much less enough to go 140 mph :D

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,198 Posts
would the 5s final gear work in place of the 3s's? i've read on the boards before that the ratios are the same and that just the final gear ratio is different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts