MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to turbo my 5SFE Camry...(yeah I have nothing else right now so don't ask ) but I have a question about what fuel injectors will work, and would be a good application for the turbo. I've been told MKIII Supra light green top injectors would work nicely, but I'm looking for a second opinion.

and if anyone has any that would work well and are willing to sell, let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Am I the only person using the 93-98 injectors?

(knock on wood) they seem to work for me (knock on wood again).

·
Registered
78 Posts
check out celicatech.com man. running those green top injectors has been discovered to be dangerous and could be teh cause of a lot of blown 5sftes. The 93-98 injectors are a small but alright improvement.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I checked out celicatech.com and couldn't find any problems with the green top injectors. What is the problem with using the green tops? I thought it was just the NA fuel pump not being able to keep up at higher boost?

In a few days, I will be getting my injectors back, flow tested and balanced from www.witchhunter.com performance. If all goes well, I will have 2 extra injectors for sale. I don't know about you guys, but it took me a very long time to find these injectors!

Edit: I did some further research and found the thread that you were talking about. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975&highlight=7mge+injectors

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The light green top injectors work great when using the stock 5sfe computer and a turbo MAP sensor but keep the boost below 8-9psi. Also we don't have a rising rate FPR on the 5sfe so the fuel pump is good to a higher HP then if you droped a 3sgte in there. When it comes to fuel pumps -> Less pressure = more flow.

Ih8rice, what color and cc are your injectors?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, they dont work fine. Everyone claims to be running pig rich, but im just the opposite.
Stock ECU, 3sgte map sensor, and light green supra injectors: i ran lean...egt's reaching around 1600* F before i reached 60 mph. I added an aeromotive FPR and raised the base pressure a bit and now its much better.
Is anyone else monitoring their EGT and what numbers are you getting?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mine never gets over 1550 on a 1/4 mile pull and at idle is about 800-1000. Could be the elevation here where I live but the Map sensor should be compensating for that. Also I have my motor apart after running it for 4 months and there are no signs of detonation. Mine is also a 93 though so the injectors fire differently then a 91-92. Just a question, did you run your EGT before you turboed it as a baseline? Mine got pretty close to the same readings when it was NA. Maybe you have something else wrong. Like a gauge that reads off? Or maybe your injectors need to be cleaned and flow tested? What does your setup look like?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mrturrari said:
Ih8rice, what color and cc are your injectors?
360cc? They are brown if I remember correctly.

Mine hits 9.9:1 on the air/fuel, so I am in the "pig-rich" catagory

·
Registered
29 Posts
well there is nothing wrong other than the high EGT.
but if you say thats what the 5s runs n/a, then maybe its not lean?
it runs like a ____ing dream and without the EGT gauge i would have never suspected anything funny.
thanks, that makes me feel better. its been running for about 5 months and still running great...not driven but a couple times a week by dad cause im at school, but im bringing it down here after spring break and getting some miles on it.
thanks for the info, i think everything is fine.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ih8rice, yeah that is pretty rich but better then being lean. :) I'm hoping that once the head work is done on my motor (p&p and 2mm oversized valves) and I put in the new cams I got today (288 - [email protected] - 0.330 lift) that the poor 5sfe computer can keep the mixture in a safe range. Sufice it to say that I will be watching my gauges closely for the next few months. If I find that I'm running lean maybe I can swap in a set of 360cc injectors. lol

toozday22, yes my EGTs were up above 1500 when it was an all stock NA. What year is your car? If it is a 93+ then you have a knock sensor and you will be able to tell when you detonate because it will pull timing. One thing that I use for my setup is a modified a/f gauge that only reads in the wot range. You can get them at http://gadgetseller.com/gauges/ and they give you a little better idea of what you mixture is where it counts. It's still not as good as a wideband because O2 sensors can vary but at least it gives you an idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts