MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not much can be gained to hot rod the 5SFE motor but for the sake of ease of driving and some performance improvement I’m having mine rebuilt. Having the cams re-profiled, adding a header, with a current Weapon R intake replacing the stock air boxes.

My mechanic is suggesting a lower restriction muffler(s) but I’d like some input regarding the benefits/downside to doing so. Will I notice a difference in the performance by enlarging the flow, header back? The aftermarket mufflers I’ve seen are not an east-west design like the stock assembly. Short of a factory replacement are there performance mufflers available that are freer flowing with the east-west design, with a dual exhaust finish? Otherwise a “north-south” design hangs pretty low, visible from the rear. Don’t care for that. I don’t really need an appreciable increase in the noise generation, either. Magna-Flo appears to have mufflers that are not as loud as others on the market, which I’d prefer. Any thoughts on that?

I’m considering removing the stock cat as well. I know they’re heavy and at this age, it may not be working now anyway. Where I live cats are not mandated. If I do will that trigger the “check engine light?” Should I replace it with a “performance” cat instead?

I appreciate any insights you can give me. Love my “Deuce.” I’ve had it 17 years. I just
turned 70, but going on 35. Love how it’s flat in the corners and would love every possible bump in its quickness.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
No I wouldn't change the muffler, even if it did increase the power a couple by a very small amount the sound would change and most likely for the worse. Some aftermarket exhausts exist for the 5sfe I believe but they aren't common and probably not worth the money and effort to track down. If you're replacing the exhaust manifold you'll be removing the catalytic converter as well, expect an increase in noise.

Enjoy your car and post pictures.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had headers, exhaust, and intake on my first non turbo MR2 and regretted it. It was loud, slow, and smelly from the exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Folks,
Am looking for a left side motor mount for my ‘91 MR2 5SFE. Toyota part number
12372-74270. Anyone have one available or know where to get one?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
They show it in stock but I imagine you'll get an email after ordering it that they don't have it in stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. The bad news was no one I could find has it available. I had found one of the other 3 on Toyotapartsdeal.com. You’re right tho, the follow-up email said nada for the left side. The good news is that my mechanic says it’s the only one of my 4 that doesn't need replacing. We’re good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts