MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
!*5SFE Issue*! -plz help

So I have had my 1992 MR2 now for almost a month. 124K on chassis and 64K on motor.

There is an issue im concerned about, is that the label on the valve cover where it says "2200 EFI 16 valve" etc etc, that little sticker, its on backwards. Im assuming its b/c the engine cam from a celica or camry, a front engine car, correct? I didnt tihnk it was an issue and believed all the motors were the same. But there are several things that I am very curious about.

First off, there is a 5hp gain in the later model 2's compared to the 1991-1992. Did this apply to celica and camry 5SFE's too? So how can I tell if I got the 130 or 135 hp version? not that it matters but its just a MINOR confidence boost =]

The next issues are tune up hassles. From spark plugs to plug wires, dizzy cap & rotors, etc, I cant find the exact part number I need, b/c I dont know exactly what year or what car the motor came from, even though my actual car is a 1992. I have a VERY hard time picking out parts, and I havent been able to do my tune up because of this.

So if you guys havent been able to answer any of my above questions, hopefully you can answer this one. How can I tell what year my engine is and what car it came from?

THANKS so much ahead of time, I really need answers b/c its beyond due for a tuneup.

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
if your valve cover plate has 2200 in red then its a 91-92 if it doesnt say it its most likely 93+. It sounds like you have a 93+ engine though

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hardtop2 said:
if your valve cover plate has 2200 in red then its a 91-92 if it doesnt say it its most likely 93+. It sounds like you have a 93+ engine though
well its black, so im asuming this points to 93+?

BUT..

BlueMR2 said:
Spark plug boots covers round or square? Round = '91/2. Square = '93+
they are red and round lol

so still, no idea whatsoever. thats it im posting pics.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PICS part 1

can u tell yet? :banghead:

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PICS part 2

anyone?

·
Registered
547 Posts
it looks the same as my 92 except the sticker being on backwards the plug wires etc look identical(except mines not thay dirty lol)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a feeling its from an 92-95 camry. I know carfax works for the car's vin, but is there something liek carfax but for a motor? I wanna find out what car, and if it really only had 63K on it...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone else got any input?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
buy all your parts for a 1992 MR2.

the +5hp in later motors is solely from the electronics.. so whatever motor you have, you dont have the +5hp ;)

the only thing different are some internal parts.. which you wont need to touch unless you're doing a rebuild.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But even simple stuff like spark plugs, plug wires, stuff like that, I cant decide lol.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok gotcha. but theres still no way for sure I can tell what engine I have :(

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
see if it has a knock sensor. it REALLY doesnt matter anyways, they're all essentially the same. theres no gain or loss from a later or earlier block.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
But even simple stuff like spark plugs, plug wires, stuff like that, I cant decide lol.
Well, sure looks like '91/2 plug wires would fit. Got a problem with the existing wires? OEM seem to last forever, and all the aftermarket "upgrade" wires I tried on my MR2 made it worse than stock. I'm back to OEM now.

I thought all the 5S-FE's used the same plugs. Ask your local Toyota dealer, they would know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Check to see if you distributer cap is Round or square.. if it is round it should have an ignition wire going from the cap to the coil. If it is square, the coil is inside. I have an early '92 model so i just buy all my parts for a '91 because my engine was made right before the cut-off date of the '92 changes.

If it is a '92, parts stores will ask if it its made TO 1/92 or FROM 1/92.. that will be the difference in the fitting of some parts.

S

·
0 Posts
^^^ um,.... 91-92 motors are the same 93+ is when the major changes took place. I dont think it really matters if you have a mr2 or a camry motor,. there the same thing. There both 5SFE's. Just worry about they year of the engine,. and clearly by the spark plug wires you have a 91-92 because the boots are ROUND.

edit: just to let you know you have the weaker motor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts