MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else is taking there MR2 out of hibernation for a day or so? I will tomorrow.
You know this weather cant last forever. :woot: :woot:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
i want to, but then i look at the road and see a little salt on the centerline and i cringe...am i being too picky/paranoid? probably, but oh well

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuna said:
i want to, but then i look at the road and see a little salt on the centerline and i cringe...am i being too picky/paranoid? probably, but oh well
Well...I just did some quick google research.

And I only chose answers that make me feel good about going out.

From Car Talk
http://www.cartalk.com/content/rant/r-rlast20-b.html
3) Cars are NOT being damaged extensively by salt. Oh, they certainly WERE, but not anymore. NACE International (formerly the National Association of Corrosion Engineers) has studied car rust damage for many years. In 1976, 95 percent of six-year-old cars were damaged. Today, less than 1 percent are damaged. Some manufacturers now have 10-year warranties against rust.

Driving in snow and sleet can compound the effects of acid rain because of the corrosive nature of road salt. To prevent this damage, washing your car during the winter is highly recommended, provided the temperature is above freezing.

Foreign materials like tar, tree sap, and acid rain can stain newer paint finishes. The longer these sit on the car's surface, the more difficult they become to remove and the more likely they are to cause damage.

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Body_Paint_Chassis/exterior.shtml

So for the limited time I'll drive it vs the enjoyment ill have of getting outside factored against the $4 car wash down the street.
I'm going for it.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
wallcrawlr said:
Well...I just did some quick google research.

And I only chose answers that make me feel good about going out.

So for the limited time I'll drive it vs the enjoyment ill have of getting outside factored against the $4 car wash down the street.
I'm going for it.

our cars aren't new cars :) also, i refuse to take my car to an automatic wash...sorry :p

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a real nice car wash just over the river in St. Croix Falls.

Its got both auto/and manual bays. The manual bays are fully up to date w/$2 for 5 minutes. Its real nice. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i was thinking about it, but then i woke up late for my 5pm job... and i didnt feel like taking the battery out of my truck to put it in the mr2, move the cars around and then have at it... ill just wait till the roads are clear or end of march or something.... no big deal.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i took mine out as well... i couldnt resist it...but it reminded me on how rough my tune was when i got back from chicago, and i need to clean things up and do my race gas tune already at 24-26psi... but i did play around with a nice looking vw r32

·
Registered
876 Posts
im thinking about it... unless i actually trust elite enough... but we will see. i have my buddies shop in chicago that i can throw my lsd tranny in and maybe do a little bit more work for free/cheap and then go to AMS again. if i did this, probably look to do it either maybe but doubtful spring break, or else right after school ends. also as always money will be a decideing factor. but i could probably borrow my buddies truck and trailor again which i still owe him for big time and it was ridiculously nice. especially being able to pull my car around going 80ish on the hwy and having a seperate brake booster for the trailor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yea, because i might be getting mine tuned with elite, but i know a few tuners in chicago, so i was just wondering if you went down there than maybe i could come along

1 - 14 of 14 Posts