MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
91T 4thGen Swap
591 Posts
I've been under the same impression. Stock Gen 4 + intercooler, intake, exhaust, and 17PSI will net ~300WHP. I had prime do my swap and that's what they told me. The car definitely feels like that is true as well. Granted the S54 has short gearing, but 0-60mph is very low 4 seconds, and it just pulls and pulls in all gears. This setup is definitely RPM limited, not drag limited.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
e153 not much taller till you get past 2nd gear. Working on dialing in the boost gain but I am short shifting until at least 3rd to avoid boost cut. I'm sure I am at the point where taking it to a proper tuner could do wonders but as mentioned before... I'm cheap. I've nothing but the butt dyno... have the Torque Pro app and a dongle but it tells me im at like 80hp, which I know is utter nonsense. Was able to launch hard enough the cigarette lighter flew out of the socket the other day... 80hp doesn't do that. =P

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It has the input (raw wire) to attach an AFM (that has an output wire) and comes with the solenoid to control boost, from what I can tell these solenoids are pretty much the standard 3 port you see in just about every kit. EBC has a hose coming out that hooks into vacuum on manifold. Setup is very easy, I did struggle with the plumbing of the solenoid a bit but ended up getting it sorted with help from the guys on the forum here. =D
I've yet to step into the realm of aftermarket ECU's myself, I was going to get one wired over the winter but was a little daunted by the list of things I would need and just started "on the other side" and am tryin to get all/majority of the bits I can BEFORE I need to upgrade the ECU. The only concern I have about hooking it up thus far is that now I have 2 O2 sensors. One attached to my ecu and the other to the AFM, IDK if this a standard fare or if I should dump the original and wire the new one to the stock ecu and the AFM. Right now it works and I can drive the car so I am not keen on experimenting.
Cool well i'll definitely get that boost control setup when I get my swap running.

And yeah same here, I have so much stuff I need to do on this car before i feel like opening the can of worms that is aftermarket ecu's. i need my swap totally done, suspension and steering fully rebuilt/ upgraded as well as brakes. And then honestly get my exterior sorted and looking nice. Then I'll look into messing more around with tunes and standalone ecu's. I mean the fact that these can put out so much power without doing anything the the tune at all makes me think i'll be plenty satisfied with all of that power until I have everything else where i want it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
e153 not much taller till you get past 2nd gear. Working on dialing in the boost gain but I am short shifting until at least 3rd to avoid boost cut. I'm sure I am at the point where taking it to a proper tuner could do wonders but as mentioned before... I'm cheap. I've nothing but the butt dyno... have the Torque Pro app and a dongle but it tells me im at like 80hp, which I know is utter nonsense. Was able to launch hard enough the cigarette lighter flew out of the socket the other day... 80hp doesn't do that. =P
isn't fuel cut like 18psi? how come you're having to short shift instead of turning your boost down?
Is the fuel cut setting something that a tuner can just change? I'm really new to the world of tuning specifics

·
Premium Member
91T 4thGen Swap
591 Posts
isn't fuel cut like 18psi? how come you're having to short shift instead of turning your boost down?
Is the fuel cut setting something that a tuner can just change? I'm really new to the world of tuning specifics
Yes, I have the EBC setup with too much gain and hit 17psi extremely quick, its a bit of fiddling and you actually have to do pulls to get the boost controller dialed in properly. The EBC has 2 extra settings. Gain Setting will try to speed up the time it takes to get to your target boost and a Sensitivity setting which adjusts how aggressively it will try to keep that boost level. Without a BOV I am kind of limited on how the Sensitivity setting works... for me without a blow off valve it seems to surge and dump an awful lot if I try to make it stick, I bet this can be toned down, its just a matter of my time and trial and error or I can pay to put it on a dyno and get someone to sort it for me (I am not at that point)
Fuel cut CAN be adjusted with an aftermarket device, I've seen home made jobbers but HKS does make a FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) I have one, its installed but I have it set to what the factory spec would be.
As much as I am itchin to see the full potential of what I have setup, I still need some solid fuel system upgrades to have the mindset to push it.
I do also suspect that I am still running a stock fuel pump and certainly suspect that I will be needing to upgrade my injectors in order to avoid going lean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, I have the EBC setup with too much gain and hit 17psi extremely quick, its a bit of fiddling and you actually have to do pulls to get the boost controller dialed in properly. The EBC has 2 extra settings. Gain Setting will try to speed up the time it takes to get to your target boost and a Sensitivity setting which adjusts how aggressively it will try to keep that boost level. Without a BOV I am kind of limited on how the Sensitivity setting works... for me without a blow off valve it seems to surge and dump an awful lot if I try to make it stick, I bet this can be toned down, its just a matter of my time and trial and error or I can pay to put it on a dyno and get someone to sort it for me (I am not at that point)
Fuel cut CAN be adjusted with an aftermarket device, I've seen home made jobbers but HKS does make a FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) I have one, its installed but I have it set to what the factory spec would be.
As much as I am itchin to see the full potential of what I have setup, I still need some solid fuel system upgrades to have the mindset to push it.
I do also suspect that I am still running a stock fuel pump and certainly suspect that I will be needing to upgrade my injectors in order to avoid going lean.

cool well thanks for all the boost controller info.

Yeah i definitely wouldn't even think about going standalone until i have upgraded my fuel system. I'd probably start with pump and adding in things like regulator/ gauge and then do the injectors at the same time as the standalone overhaul

21 - 25 of 25 Posts