MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with a C160 6-speed from a Blacktop at a great price I could not pass up.

My 4AGZE AW11 is currently has the stock E51 transmission and I would like to swap in the 6speed C160.

I read alot of posts on this forum about a 6 speed swaps when using the blacktop engine, but found no posts from users installing a 6speed C160 onto the stock Supercharged 4AGZE engine.

Can you confirm, to swap in a C160 6 speed:
-I will need new axles? Will C50 / C52 axles fit the C160? Or do I use C160 axles?
-I need to mod the shift selector hardware, as it would be facing the wrong direction from its prior FWD application
-Is there any need to disassemble the C160? I see so many posts about guys swapping C52/50 parts onto the C160 to get it to fit?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked and could not find info
Thanks MR2 pals :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I've heard, the C160 might be a little bit light duty for the SC torque.

In any case, shifter mod and NA axles with stubs should get you where you need to be. If it has the electric speedo sender you will also need a mechanical drive from an NA.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
An SC does not benefit that much from a 6 speed. The whole advantage of forced induction is that it gives you a broad power peak, and thus makes close ratio gears unnecessary. I can't say that it isn't an improvement, but I suggest that you take a good look at what this would do for you before you jump in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I run an electric speedo already (I have a mechanical to electrical adapter which works great), so the signal is not a problem.

I will see if the mounting brackets will need to be modified before I get to far into this.

If I am able to get it bolted up, I will post my progress here.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
63 Posts
... back in my BMX days, paid the old flat-track racer up the street US$5 bux to tweak the hub on my old Schwinn Sting Ray. Small chunk of chump change at the time, those were Bretton Woods dollars, 1/32nd oz gold.

Brake actuated two-speed rear-end, he called it a skip chain. My cake and eat it too, like having a big sprocket and a small sprocket, on one bike, fast off the line, fast at top end, that hub won me three straight regional championships.

No one could ever figure out why I'm going back on my pedal, tapping my brake, quarter way down the straightaways.

Our OEM 5 speed's robust; nearly indestructible. A delicate, intricate piece of equipment, a 6-speed gearbox is suboptimal. It will never work quite right. What our AW11 4agze's needed most, a button actuated two-speed rear-end would theoretically have given us 10-forward, 2 reverse.

Imagine going 1st-1st', 2nd-2nd', 3rd-3rd', back down the gearbox, 5th-4th', thumb actuated button off the side of the knob, just like the one on the auto-tranny SC -

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I probably have all the parts you would need.... I'm heavily interested in an E51 and the bits to go with it. I've converted a c56 to work in an AW before. Maybe we can figure out some sort of trade?
Biggest question is how far apart we are. I'm in central Alberta. PM if you are interested in seeing if we can work something out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts