MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i plan to swap in a AE101 4AGZE into my '87 n/a in april, i will be buying a clip from venus auto. Before anyone posts i HAVE used the search function, for the past few hours. :p Just need some suggestions, and some things confirmed.

I plan to use my trans in my car now, and i will be buying an intercooler setup, changing the timingbelt/water pump/cam seals, and vacuum lines, spark plugs, etc, all the basics. I dont think i'll have anyproblems with this part of the swap or getting the engine in and bolted up...

My biggest questions are...

What clutch/flywheel combo would everyone recomended?

Wiring... I've read that the GZE wiring harness will plug right into my 87 body harness, without me having to splice anything... is this true?

Now a question about mods to the engine... I want to run a larger pulley for more boost, what would you all suggest? I also want to run a little bit more agressive cams. I was thinking KK294's from TED components. Also i want to find a grunt box. Will i run into any problems on the stock GZE ECU with these mods, or will i have to run Megasquirt, or something similar?

Thanks in advance to those who can answer my questions

Colin

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
What clutch/flywheel combo would everyone recomended?
Search for "Illegal Garage" clutch, it seems to be the most recommended around here

Wiring... I've read that the GZE wiring harness will plug right into my 87 body harness, without me having to splice anything... is this true?
If I remember correctly, yes.

Now a question about mods to the engine... I want to run a larger pulley for more boost, what would you all suggest? I also want to run a little bit more agressive cams. I was thinking KK294's from TED components. Also i want to find a grunt box. Will i run into any problems on the stock GZE ECU with these mods, or will i have to run Megasquirt, or something similar?
Nevo makes really good pulley sets. http://www.nevo.biz/
The stock GZE would probably be okay provided you have the grunt box on there. Megasquirt would definietly be more tuneable, but I don't want to have to mess with it on my swap.

Also while it's out, get the front and rear main seals, oil filter sandwich assembly (kbox), dizzy (depending on what model gze you get), and maybe even a headgasket.

·
Registered
523 Posts
AE101 MAP GZE will not mate up to your car's harness. You will have to splice.

Use an illegal garrage clutch, for the old flywheel size.

Try not to modify the engine (other than cleaning it up and possibly rebuilding) until you have it in the car.

I have not heard anything definitive on the grunt box with a MAP sensored engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts