MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car suffered the three lights of death a week or so ago and after changing the alternator the battery still wouldn't charge. I checked the fuse, the wires and everything looked good; the only thing left was the Voltage Regulator.

The cheapest price I found for an OEM regulator from Toyota was $168.

This is waaaay too much for a regulator so I looked for an alternative solution.

Honda apparently also used the same Denso Voltage Regulator in 83-84 Preludes and 82-87 Accords. The Honda part numbers are:

31400-SA5-004
31400-SBO-004

Denso part numbers for this regulator are:
126000-0302
126000-0320
126000-0430

Replacements can be found on rockauto and amazon ranging from $20-$70, a nice alternative to the Toyota part.

However, the Honda Voltage Regulator has some of the pins switched around, specifically the first two, and the number three and six pin are swapped. This requires you to pull out wires from your existing Toyota harness and plug them into their new homes. Do this by matching up the letters and their respective wires. You will only have to swap a total of four wires.

P<->IG
S<->F

Both Voltage Regulators are labeled so this shouldn't be too hard.

I chose the Standard Motor Parts replacement voltage regulator (part number VR180)

Here is a picture of the replacement voltage regulator-

and the back.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the lovely Toyota regulator

and again from the rear.

After fiddling with the wires for about five minutes you should end up with this-

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When mounting the new regulator make sure the rear metal plate touches the body as it helps dissipate the heat generated by the excess electricity.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
the GM regulator has also been used with success. There are threads here on how to wire it up. This looks like a more plug and play option though, provided you can just move the pins in the clip to the right order. good find!

·
Registered
155 Posts
STICKY THIS
I looked for six months for one and finally found one just in time for the startup! this woulda been waaay less stressful!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
In addressing Toddf58's comment on how much Toyota pays for this this item that they charge YOU the loyal Toyota owner $168?

If there is someone on Amazon selling this for $20 and I paid $17 for my Honda part here in Florida is there any real doubt what Toyota is really doing here in the USA fellas.

You may choose to ignore the excessive and profain profit this car company is reaping from America but I fight back at every opportunity I can with alternatives like this.

It's greed folks, plain and simple. And Americans are only now awakening to the graft and corruption that companies like this are using to manipulate YOUR government and get THEIR way.

I, for one, applaud DRSOURMONKEY'S research, power to the people to pass the word.

US Amy, Veteran

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
If you are putting a GZE alternator into a GE harness, you will need to add all of the wiring to the regulator. I suggest that you get both of the wiring diagrams, compare them, and see what you need to change.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Agreed - there are four wires coming from the alternator plug - red white & blue and 6 on the regulator (labels/colors):IG/black with yellow stripe and red rings, P/green with silver markings, F/black that goes into a shielded gray wire, S/white, L/yellow with red rings, E/white with black strip and ground shield for the F lead.

I'm an electrical engineer and I can guess. But even if somebody else were paying for the alternator and regulator I'd want to know how they get wired up. The system wiring diagrams I got don't list any of these colors and I seem to remember a diagram that showed variations between the NA and SC alternators but can't find them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts