MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I am getting a 85 N/A for cheap. It has a brand new 4AGE but i want to do a swap to get some more power out of it. What is the most reasonable swap for a MK1? I had planned on a GZE swap but i want to do a 1.5 swap. I heard they are a lot of work though. Can u guys help me out here? Thnx.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
you should check out the mr2 mk 1.5 section and read the FAQ thats in there. LOTS of good info.

The common consensus if you dont want to jump to a 1.5, is to 4agze it. Supercharged give you torque and hp and its relatively cheap. Also parts are somewhat harder to find for the 20v, but there is nothing like the sound of the throttlebodies opening up.

Choices choices...use the search function if you have questions about a specific engine..LOTS of info out there already.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, my friend told me that the 20v is not really a good swap because the motor is factory built and high comp. so i cant really do that much to increase hp.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Every Honda is factory built w/ high comp. yet people do things to make gobs of power in them...

If you're a stop light drag racer and not heavily mechanicaly inclined, go for the GZ definitely.

Most 1.5 swaps are done w/ the revised rear suspension (87 and > greater cars). Random sidenote there...

·
Registered
647 Posts
if it has a brand new 16V in it, i would hold on you quest for more power until u become accustomed to the car.
as far as what motor to use down the road, its all a matter a preference really... if you like to drag race or want a lot of useable power around town, GZE is the way to go. if you're like me, and run road courses and would gladly trade around-town torque for a musical high-end performance, 20V is a good choice. somehow running around town in a rev range giving me, oh, 35lb-ft of torque seems ok when i run a full 4 mi. road course over 5000rpm.... <shiver>
-Enzo

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to road race and run the cayons. I want to run 13's. Thats all i want. What is the best swap for 13's? I kinda want a 1.5 because its a rare swap, but ive been doing some research on it and it looks like its a helluva job to swap. I dunno i think i need some more researching.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am in your exact same postition, I just bought an 85 NA about 4 months ago with a brand new motor.

I am going to run a low boost turbo setup of about 6 psi. That should put me in low 14's if not 13's. If I blow that, I'd kinda like to check out that 20v :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts