MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread, http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=83619, the point was discussed that if 4AGTE owners had to do it all over again, they would go 3SGTE.

I am wanting to go turbo and I have been going back and forth between 4AGTE and 3SGTE. I want between 230-250 horses and I insist on reliability (e.g. AC useage, cross-country trips, letting wife drive it, etc).

For 4AGTE owners, would you do it again the same way or would you go 3SGTE? Please explain your reasons.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If all you want is 230-250 then why even change your engine?? The 4a can make that with a good turbo set up hell they can make more than that. I would say the 3sgte is for if you want to make over 300whp. But you still can do that with the 4a. Also it depends on how much money your willing to throw at it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
if i could some how sell all the stuff for the amount i payed for it, i would go 3sgte, i think i well next winter. 4agtes are over rated, go 3sgte

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
depends on what you want really

having owned both, they are completely different beasts. completely different powebands and engine dynamics

·
Registered
184 Posts
1985_mr2 said:
if i could some how sell all the stuff for the amount i payed for it, i would go 3sgte, i think i well next winter. 4agtes are over rated, go 3sgte
Why would you say they are overrated?? Just curious im just about done with mine?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
manning,

Since you have owned both engines, you are especially qualified to talk about this.

What would you recommend to someone like me who wants power but not at the expense of reliability or ease of driveability (problems with heat, etc). As I said before, I want a car that my wife can drive and that I can drive cross-country.

Please relate your opinions on both engines.

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
What would you recommend to someone like me who wants power but not at the expense of reliability or ease of driveability (problems with heat, etc). As I said before, I want a car that my wife can drive and that I can drive cross-country.

because of that i would say 3sgte.. because you are getting what you want even when the swap is a stock swap

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
manning,

Could you possible explain what you mean by different powerbands and engine dynamics. I already know the physical differences, I'd like to know what your particular impressions are and what you like/dislike about each.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
my personal opinion : on teh 3sgte I dislike the way with teh CT26 turbo it has a very flat top end. I switched to a tdo5-16g turbo and it completely changed the top end feel of the motor and I liked it much more.

I think it is hard to say the "feel" of either engine difinatively becasue the "feel" is changed so radically by your choice in cams and turbo.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've been extremely happy with the 4AGTE!

I would love to do another one given the chance. I'm currently advising a friend on one for his ae86- it's amazing how much I've learned from the process.

If the 3SGTE was a strong aluminum-blocked 2 liter motor like the SR20DET and sat in the engine bay in a more conventional way (i.e. upright instead of leaning back) I would consider it.

Brent

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've wondered about that lean-back. Must contribute to the SW's big rear bias... then I realize that originally, they had it on the ST160 WRC car.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
also allows a taller engine to fit in a given spot... allows the engineers to design a more arodynamic front end...

if it's power AND reliablity... i'd prob go w/ the 3sgte... not saying the 4agte can't have it... but at 250hp the 3sgte is just getting started where as the 4ag needs a lot of little things, gze bottom end, arp head studs, much better clutch, you also have to worry about blowing the tranny or snaping axles if you get to brutal... something i don't see being an issue w/ the 3sgte swap...

that being said... i'm doing a 4agte... i may one day do a 3sgte... but i'm waiting for the day i find a cheap as hell mkIIT clip :)

mark

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
does anyone know how much heavier a 3SGTE? than say a 4AGZE?

or, how it is positioned, or affects weight distribution? (lower/higher? further back?)

just wondering...thanks

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,037 Posts
Um, the 3SGTE leans *forward*, not back. It helps the polar moment.

Tommy - The 3sgte doesn't give up too much to a 4agze drivetrain. The tranny is the same. You trade the SC12 + bracketry + manifolds for a turbo. I'd say any difference is in the weight of the longblock. Not sure what it is, but it can't be too much, maybe 50 lbs? With the engine leaning forward, and the turbo hanging off that side, I'd say the MK1.5 will have a superior polar moment of inertia, and very similiar weight distribution to the SC, maybe the same, since you pretty much have to move the battery to the frunk.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
thanks for the heads-up Jim.

For some reason, because it leans forward, it seemed to me that it needed to be placed further towards the rear. Guess not...

FWIW, I think that going to a GTE from my GZE, probably stripped off close to 50lbs. I'll reweigh the car next spring and get an exact measurement

1 - 20 of 39 Posts