MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got around to doing the first stage of mock up of my engine, torqueing my head to an empty block (with a head gasket in place, of course!)
Despite what advice I had been given, I was hoping to get away with not using a hone plate, especially since the MS doesn't have one.
Well when I got everything cinched down, the bores were out of round even worse than they were before. (.003 vs .0015)

I don't want to pony up the $600+ to buy a hone plate that I will use once, I have terrible luck with buying "running" engines, and am yet to find anyone with a plate they would loan.

If you have a plate and wouldn't mind loaning it out, or know of a shop that would, please, let me know. I am happy to pay a deposit and a reasonable fee to rent it. Shipping would be to my machine shop. I am located in central VA between Lynchburg and Waynesboro.
I also would be willing to have another shop do that part of the work, but don't know of any.
Any suggestions, advice or leads would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just a thought, why not take a old scrap head and hole saw some big 3.5" holes in it. You will talk alot of stiffness out of the head but might work better then nothing.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
briansexsmith said:
Just a thought, why not take a old scrap head and hole saw some big 3.5" holes in it. You will talk alot of stiffness out of the head but might work better then nothing.
I was thinking of this last night. If I had the money right now I'd buy one and rent it to 8ton. Unfortunately that's not going to happen right now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian, great minds think alike. Talked to the shop about that exact thing, but he didnt like the idea of it, mostly I think he was afraid that the head would come apart mid use. BUT If i can find a cheap junk head and a big ol' hole saw it might be worth a shot.
His thought was to find a 2" thick piece of AL and make one, but from taking a quick look at material pricing, I think I would end up with about the same scratch in it.
I tried to explain to my wife why I needed to buy a plate and that I could use it to make back the $$$ renting it out or machining blocks with it, but no go. :(

Keep the Ideas coming guys!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having the plate made out of steel or AL would save me a fair amount of $$ but it is still a fairly large investment for something I may only use once.

My shop specializes in race engines and gives me VERY good pricing, BUT Racing in my area goes round and round and is strictly 'murican. He has a three foot tall pile of plates, likely one for every V8 made since the '30s, but no 4ag.
Also the only other shop in the area I don't like.

That being said, I have found a shop, Justice racing engines, three hours north of me that can do the work and says they can get it done in one day so that I don't have to make the drive twice.

Curious though, how many engines get honed or bored without a plate?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yeah probably 99% of 4cyl don?t get honed with a TQ plate

I bought one for my opel 4 cyl for a little more then $300 (it?s never been used)

I might consider getting one for the 4ag but it would be 82mm but it?s not needed for a street car

Davegt27

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I had my block torque plated and I would say it's not required; not on a iron block anyway.

I think the power difference between a torque plated vs non-torque plated is so little that it's likely not worth the $150 the machine shop charged me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Justice is in Fredrick Maryland. I believe that the owner broke off of Quicksilver.
Ost- I spoke to them about it and they said that they felt that they had seen little advantage, even in FA motors and no longer offered the service. I was considering trying to get them to leave it out in the hot sun before doing the work to split the difference... we will see how mellow of a shop it is...
LordLo and others who feel it might be unnecessary for a street car-That's what I am trying to say. Even for a street car, a Hone plate is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED if you are honing any more than the BGB .2mm allowance. It isn't about the power- its a reliability concern. If you don't care if the engine burns oil at 30kmi, don't sweat it, but for my $$ I want to get 200k+ out of beating the snot out of it! Ost had previously advised that I use one, but being hard headed, I figured that it was some excessive racecar thing I could live without (sorry OST, I just have e-net trust issues!)
That's why I checked. Now I know that he was right. My MS didn't think it would matter either, but after checking, he told me that he wouldn't hone my block without one and that he had NEVER seen a block move so much in 40 years!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Nah, torque plate is not necessary on a iron block 1-4 cylinder unless you severly overheated the engine (in that case I'd use a different block anyway) or using a block with 200k+ miles on it. I've built two engines, one with a torque plate and one without. Both of them perform identical.

BTW, you can find a lot of low mileage boost virgin 98+ camry blocks for $300-$500 at the junkyard. If you have a questionable block, I would just pick one of those up.

From my experience the only time I would say use a torque plate is on a straight 6 (7mgte/ge or 2jzgte/ge) or an aluminum block engine.

Save yourself the $150; again my opinion from experience, ultimately it is your choice.

If you absolutely want it done, go to MB Cylinder heads in Oregon. Best damn machine shop in the northwest; even Horsepower Freaks use them.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
8ton said:
Justice is in Fredrick Maryland. I believe that the owner broke off of Quicksilver.
Ost- I spoke to them about it and they said that they felt that they had seen little advantage, even in FA motors and no longer offered the service. I was considering trying to get them to leave it out in the hot sun before doing the work to split the difference... we will see how mellow of a shop it is...
LordLo and others who feel it might be unnecessary for a street car-That's what I am trying to say. Even for a street car, a Hone plate is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED if you are honing any more than the BGB .2mm allowance. It isn't about the power- its a reliability concern. If you don't care if the engine burns oil at 30kmi, don't sweat it, but for my $$ I want to get 200k+ out of beating the snot out of it! Ost had previously advised that I use one, but being hard headed, I figured that it was some excessive racecar thing I could live without (sorry OST, I just have e-net trust issues!)
That's why I checked. Now I know that he was right. My MS didn't think it would matter either, but after checking, he told me that he wouldn't hone my block without one and that he had NEVER seen a block move so much in 40 years!

If you dead set on getting one BHJ is where I bought my Opel TQ Plate
They do show one for the 4AGE

http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_nav/nav_honePlate.php

http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/products/honingplates/hp_applist.php

Davegt27

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
oldeskewltoy said:
you do know horsepower freaks closed... right?
Yep, but this was not because of bad products; they had a shady employee who stole $200,000. And that pretty much brought down the entire company.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts