MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. new here

So guys i recently bought a corolla 1998 liftback with a 4age st engine its running great little bit rich but overall it’s awesome. No mods have been done other than adjusting the timing a little advance nothing more. So ive been reading a lot about this problem like all of you guys with a st or bt have 8000+ rpm while mine revs only upto 7500 “rev limited” while in gear or in neutral alsoI don't have a cat on my car so as people it even should rev more.The speed tacho is working so i guess it means the speed sensor is good. I couldn’t find the issue that its causing it to be limited at 7500 so what could the issue be? Also ive heard that an at ecu should rev to 8200 if im correct

4age st 20v
At ecu
5speed manual
Cat delete with full muffler to supress the sound
Timing adjusted

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
The redline is determined by the ECU. Since you have an AT ECU, there may be special conditions for full RPM limit. For example, the ECU may not allow full RPM until the engine is up to operating temperature. I am not familiar with this system, but that is what I would look for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The redline is determined by the ECU. Since you have an AT ECU, there may be special conditions for full RPM limit. For example, the ECU may not allow full RPM until the engine is up to operating temperature. I am not familiar with this system, but that is what I would look for.
I wouldnt even rev it past 4000 until its in operational temperature and its from the first thing i would account for is the temp when testing rpms,vvt etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts