MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually for an ae86, but I figured I could ask here as well since the AW11 shares the same motor.

I'm curious about how far I could push a n/a 4age on pump gas within the restrictions of Oregon's emissions laws (220ppm Hydrocarbon & 1.0% Carbon Monoxide). I'd like to maintain some degree of drivability, as I plan on putting this in my daily, though I primarily drive on the highway so there's a bit of leeway there.

Which generation of the 4a would be best for this? From what I've been reading smallports are better for sub-200hp, and from what I figure I'll be lucky if I can hit something close to that while passing emissions here.

I'm limited to 91 octane as I'd like to stick to pump gas, which I believe limits the compression ratio to somewhere around 10.5:1. I read on one of the forums that one guy ran water injection on his n/a engine so he could increase the compression ratio, would there be any merit to that idea?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I moved to PDX after 1.5 swapping my mr2. From Washington, it being 30 years old it wasn't an issue. I had to do emissions once I transferred everything to Oregon.
I had trouble passing as HC and CO emissions were too high with the downpipe catalyst only. I had a second installed and it passed very well.
They do a visual check to make sure your cats are there and that's about it. As long as it doesn't smoke at 2000rpm and you have cats visibly installed then you should be good.
Other than a pod intake and berk 3" exhaust, I don't have any performance mods on it. Stock 3s ECU and all that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts