MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to starting up and previous owner messed with the harness. What are the pin outs of the igniter?
Black is neg primary on coil
Brown goes to pos primary on coil
White and red go to distributor as n signals
Yellow more like faded white
Blue
Green
Grey

Not sure which is n1 and n2
Igt and igf

Hope someone has this technical info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 AW11 NA, Red Spraypaint Mess (from PO)
7 Posts

Hey - in case you don't have it, here's "IG-3" - might this help? The labels that I can see on your photo (at the bottom, in black on black - ha!) seem to match the schematic.

·
Premium Member
89 AW11 NA, Red Spraypaint Mess (from PO)
7 Posts
And here's from the wiring diagram! It's fairly large (even in my custom, improved version - still working on it!) I can get more context if you'd like!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you folks. i actually figured out where all eight wires go... took the guess work out of the ig-t-rigger that is the 5 volt zap from the ecu and ig-f-signal that returns to the ecu. How we figured it out was looking inside the cover and shows: T (trigger), F, B, and the others are obvious as you can trace them to the coil + and coil -

this picture helped out and here's some further clarification. The colors on my igniter do not match..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,211 Posts
These are the colors from the '86 BGB:

Tach Black
NE White
IGF Black-Yellow
IGT Black-White
Coil+ Black-Red
Coil- not shown

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is super helpful and same as my 1988

I'm not getting a strong igT and a barely readable igF... and the Fuel Injectors not firing... using the stethescope and cannot hear the ticking. really struggling and going to do a simple stand alone to get signal(s) from the Distributor, and then fire the igniter/coil/plugs and also fire the injectors using the same timing. Looks like the injector 1 and 2 are in sync and injector 3 and 4 same... so basically unplugged the igT and ifF from the ECU so that the microcontroller I'm rigging up can at least fire and hopefully stay in perfect timing... thoughts???

·
Premium Member
12,211 Posts
This ignition system does not involve the ECU for starting. The ignitor is completely self contained and should fire from the Ne+/Ne- signal while cranking. The ECU should take over and supply IGT when the engine reaches a certain RPM.

I don't know how the injectors are controlled, but since the injectors are organized in two phases, I assume that both NE from the ignitor and G+/G- from the distributor are involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts