MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Car was smoking with telltale signs of valve stem seals being shot. 150k miles on the original engine and seals. Thought it might be stuck oil control rings due to poor dino oil being used for a long time by the previous owner but I doubt it. I run Liqui Moly 5W40 oil now. Car feels strong.

I bought Supertech valve stem seals for my 20 valve. After the install the car smokes even worse??? I noticed that the new seals slid onto the intake valve stems in particular quite easily and even moved with the valve when one valve had a slight amount of room to move against the rope I used in the cylinder. When I pushed the new seals down onto the valve guide seat, they went on quite easily and didn't feel convincing even after I used a 10mm deep socket and rubber mallet to push/tap them down onto the valve guide seat.

1. Do new OEM seals feel nice and tight over the valve stem as you push them down and do they have some resistance when you push them onto the valve guide seat?
2. Should I get OEM seals and ditch these Supertechs? That will be so annoying to have to do this job again!
3. Can/should I use RTV around the base of the seal to make it bond to the valve guide seat well? I don't like this idea but... would it cause any problems?

P.S. the original exhaust seals came off without much resistance at all but the intake seals were all extremely tight and I had to fight with them for 10 to 15 mins EACH just to pull them off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah so I determined its the valve stem seals and now since I installed Supertech seals, it smokes even more. I think I should order OEM seals and get back in there. Supertech is not convincing. I'm disappointed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are the Supertech seals actually designed to work with the stock guides?

Did you seat the seals properly? If not popped into place the seals won't work.

Are the guides and valve stems in good condition? If the valves stems are loose in the guides they'll wobble around and break the seal.

Just a couple of questions on the valve end of the issue. The rings can be worn or broken as well. Before you go tearing things down again, and replace anything, do a compression test, dry and wet to get an idea on the health of your rings.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's what i want to find out. Are these Supertech seals actually correct for OEM valves and guides? It didn't feel like it when i pushed them on/into place and certainly didn't feel a click or convincing pop into place. That's all I had on hand so I had to continue the job. Since it's smoking worse now surely the oil control rings are good or still healthy but i hear what you're saying about a test. Guides and valves are 100 percent stock. It's a stock engine and nothing looked out of place in the head when i did this install.

Shall i get OEM stem seals and ditch the Supertech?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts