MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Details on that someday
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been searching around on the internet for a bit, and sadly have not found any reliable information on this. So I've come to ask y'all.

As the title says, I'm wondering what the maximum horsepower number could be on a 4A-GZE stock with the stock boost of 7-8PSI that the ECU regulates.
I'm also interested in what numbers you could get if you delete the Supercharger and install a Turbocharger instead, as I've heard the Supercharger is small and low power.

Extra questions would be the maximum safe boost pressure to use on a stock 4A-GZE without changing any components.

· Registered
515 Posts
Stock GZE is limited by the blower, not by the bottom end. I've heard legend of factory GZE's holding 20psi of boost without any issues, but that requires good tuning. Manon Racing builds crazy A engines, 600+hp 1.9 liter stroker type builds.

· Registered
798 Posts
The ECU doesn't really regulate boost. The blower supplies 8 PSI of boost if the ECU engages its clutch. So the blower will get about 145 HP on 8 PSI. Changing the crank pulley to overdrive the blower will get 10 PSI or 13 PSI or whatever the pulley ratio commands. I haven't seen any reliable reports of more than 200 HP on the stock blower regardless of what pulley, cams, or ECU changes have been used.

· Registered
Details on that someday
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The ECU doesn't really regulate boost. The blower supplies 8 PSI of boost if the ECU engages its clutch. So the blower will get about 145 HP on 8 PSI. Changing the crank pulley to overdrive the blower will get 10 PSI or 13 PSI or whatever the pulley ratio commands. I haven't seen any reliable reports of more than 200 HP on the stock blower regardless of what pulley, cams, or ECU changes have been used.
I heard that you can get 180whp with stock parts and just getting a larger pulley. I heard that anything below 200whp is acceptable until you need to upgrade the transmission to handle more power.

Edit: Here's the quote I state:
The biggest issue is the trans though. Honestly I feel that 200whp is to much for it. You can swap in W trans but it is very costly. Also the stock 4AGE can handle about 10psi safely if you tune it properly.
which makes me wonder if I can just build off of the 4A-GZE and solve other issues considering it can go really hard in performance

· Registered
798 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are starting with. The 4AGZE comes stock with the E51 transmission which can handle quite a lot of power. If you are building a 4AGZE by adding a supercharger to a 4AGE, it probably came with a C52 transmission which can handle less power.

considering it can go really hard in performance....

· Premium Member
12,889 Posts
What happens with the transmission depends on what you do with the car. If you do launches, then you will find out about the transmission right quick. So, the right question is: Why do you want the extra power, and what do you plan to do with it? Is it for a high speed track, or is it for blowing off other cars at stoplights?

· Registered
Details on that someday
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens with the transmission depends on what you do with the car. If you do launches, then you will find out about the transmission right quick. So, the right question is: Why do you want the extra power, and what do you plan to do with it? Is it for a high speed track, or is it for blowing off other cars at stoplights?
Plan to take a Supercharged MR2 AW11 on for time attack racing events. My goal is getting something with around 600whp on track. I'll take care of the aero, but I'm trying to dial in suspension and mechanics needed for pushing the thing to its limits.

· Registered
153 Posts
... Formula Atlantic trim, with the cheater camshafts, Toyota's 4AGE's spec-series engines were pushing about 300 horsepower. The 4AGZE is very limited, the most you'll wrestle from it, and still coast through California smog check would be, about 225 HP. 4AGZE's in aftermarket TRD trim (equipped every component out TRD's catalog) pushed about 300. Bug city, HKS's Twincharged 4AGZEs pushed between 300 to 400 HP (e.g., in road course trim the weight gain negating its advantage). The turbocharged 4AGZE presented to Toyota corporate in Torrance, 1988, by the Garret Air-research people was said to push 400 horsepower, reliably (e.g., the Garret people were the ones who inspired Toyota's MR2 Turbo). AAR's experimental turbocharged 4AGEs were said to push well over 400 on the dynomometer -

· Registered
59 Posts
Most I've seen done with the blower on these engines is "BigMikes" build. But anything more than 250hp with a supercharger is really not doable. A Turbo on the other hand, will get you there. Mikey uses an SC14 with a big crank pully and he turned down the SC pully like 10mm smaller. I think he uses an N/A manifold as well.
If you were to turbo the thing expecting big numbers ditching the SC manifold would be a big step with the 4AGE. If numbers mean more than keeping the GZE a swap would get there faster.

· Registered
59 Posts
Power output in around the 200 bhp range for the AW11 chassis is more than adequate. Once you start adding more, your MR2 is no longer drivable on the street.

MintyAW11SC
The gut was talking about some track duty. Didn't specify what type of track. 600hp is fine for the strip and with a properly prepped chassis power north of 200 can be fine for the track. Last I heard, Mike's SC was planting 225whp for the street. As for what is "adequate" for the street, the AW does quite well with stock power, street racing, agressive driving and showing off are still illegal and quite threatening to the people around you.

It was one thing to have a "few" spirited drivers in spirited cars around, but now just about every IDIOT has a 500hp car using every road like their own personal race track.

· Registered
59 Posts
I actually have BigMikes first SC14 and mounting plates in my garage. A turbo would do him so much better, but that supercharger is his drug of choice. I can't seem to get away from N/A. Even with a shelf full of superchargers I can't seem to break away.

If you really want to build a torqe monster do a 7AGZE. Mount an SC14 or an M90 to the block. Go a step further and pop in a 1.9 or 2.0 stroker kit in that 7A block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts