MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research for upgrading the stock intercooler for the supercharger, and previous posts show the st205 was the best option, however I can't find any for sale. I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of either where I could go to get one, or what other intercoolers I could use

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,401 Posts
A 10" SPAL heavy duty fan fits beneath the stock IC and can move A LOT of air through it. This is much simpler and less added weight/complexity vs. a air/water setup (which is what the ST205 is).

·
Registered
1989 S/C, m/t, white/blue
70 Posts
A 10" SPAL heavy duty fan fits beneath the stock IC and can move A LOT of air through it. This is much simpler and less added weight/complexity vs. a air/water setup (which is what the ST205 is).
What do you recommend to wire the fan up? Is there a good and nearby, always-on wire nearby? Or did you install a switch to inside the cabin?

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,401 Posts
It was long ago that I installed this, and I no longer have the SC, so can't recall. I do recall that it's a very power hungry motor, and requires something like a 20A or 25A fuse. For that reason, I don't think piggy-backing on any existing circuit was possible. I probably used a relay, with a switch in the cabin to turn on the relay.

·
Registered
1989 S/C, m/t, white/blue
70 Posts
It was long ago that I installed this, and I no longer have the SC, so can't recall. I do recall that it's a very power hungry motor, and requires something like a 20A or 25A fuse. For that reason, I don't think piggy-backing on any existing circuit was possible. I probably used a relay, with a switch in the cabin to turn on the relay.
Thanks JimKing for the feedback. A discrete switch with a dedicated circuit will likely be my path forward should I choose to start tracking my car and need the extra cooling.

it's literally right next to the battery, here I'll show you View attachment 78004
Tiypo, if you wire it directly to the battery, it will have power regardless if the engine is running and therefore drain the battery. I am not a wiring expert though, so maybe I misunderstood your statement about proximity to the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks JimKing for the feedback. A discrete switch with a dedicated circuit will likely be my path forward should I choose to start tracking my car and need the extra cooling.

Tiypo, if you wire it directly to the battery, it will have power regardless if the engine is running and therefore drain the battery. I am not a wiring expert though, so maybe I misunderstood your statement about proximity to the battery.
sorry i should have added that it helps to wire in a thermostat on the IC to trigger the fan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts