MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3UR-FE swap into my 91 MR2!

27K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  SnowRocker88 
#1 ·
3UR-FE swap into my 91 MR2!
:thumbup
working on putting motor and tranny into the car, will send pics soon... :smile:

#33 · (Edited)
I have serious doubts.

Even the Uber short Audi ABZ with a longitudinal FRONT WHEEL DRIVE transaxle (01x) barely fits, and part of the front of the engine is in the cabin to get the axles to line up with the wheel wells. We all saw what Mike_H did to make it work in his mark2

The 01X has a ring gear near the front, just behind the bellhousing, and the axles attach here, with the majority of the gearbox hanging out behind the axle centerlines. THis is just like the POrshe 911 trans (flipped around), and most mid-engine race car gearboxes.

Not a 01x, but an Audi Quattro automatic transaxle. It is similar in layout.

Why on earth anyone thinks they can use a conventional transmission is beyond me. Thier is no differential, and no place to attach axles to a CONVENTIONAL transmission, so you have to put on on the back of it (like the 97+ corvette transaxles, or the Porsche 928, the 924, 968, and 944).

I don't know the external demensions of the 3UR, but I have found after measuring many DOHC V8's that they are all fairly close in size. Usually 27-33 inches long from crank pulley to rear of the block. Usually around 26 to 33 inches wide cam cover to cam cover (not including headers).

These numbers WON'T work on a MR2 without major modifications.

The Audi V8 is very unusual in that it is 20.63 inches long and 27 or 29 (can't remember off the top of head) wide. The N* is very unusual in that it is 23 inches long and 27 wide.

The ONLY way I see this working is to lengthen the wheelbase of the MR2.

#42 ·
I'm with Bill and CBulen. I too have a Tundra, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY this will fit without significantly stretching the body. Somebody did actually manage to fit one in a MkIV Supra, and even that took shoehorning. Also, it weighs a ton, is electronically very complex, and I definitely wouldn't touch supercharging it, at least if I wanted my rods to stay whole.

#43 ·
wow.. this sucks.. i just went thru every post and prob would have if i was ten pages long to see if he put his money where is mouth is.. but still no pics.. but hey.. Determination makes dreams reality.. so i guess we can only stay tuned..

#47 ·
I have a way to do an 8 cylinder, 4.4 liter 4wd without cutting into the cabin! It is a radical idea. If it works, you will never believe it. It is crazier than that unicorn. It will be Toyota powered and MAKE THAT UNICORN STOP LOOKING AT ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.