MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
DrWonderEyes said:
it toyota had an exotic V angle of like 72 degrees like some ferrari's use. it would fit transversely in an mr2. that would rock.
Did Ferrari ever use a 72 degree bank angle? I've only ever heard of that bank angle being used in V10s, and I can't think of a V10 Ferrari (F1 cars notwithstanding). Just wondering.

I know there have been some V8s with a 60 degree bank angle, either descended from 60 deg V6s or built that way for compactness (Volvo?), but the only 72 degree V8 I could find evidence of was the recently released GM 4.5 diesel:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0802_chevy_duramax_diesel_engine/index.html

Which is cool in its own right, but probably not a good swap candidate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Not too sure about the Ferrari.
Not posting a reply about my MK3URFE till It's fully complete. I have the 3UR-FE and still dealing with transmission installation issues, but I'll figure it out. very similar set up to MV8. :biggun :excited I'll send pics soon, stay tuned....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Dierich is alot like Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris may push Earth down when doing a push up... but Dierich can fit Earth in the engine bay of an MR2... WITHOUT CUTTING!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have serious doubts.

Even the Uber short Audi ABZ with a longitudinal FRONT WHEEL DRIVE transaxle (01x) barely fits, and part of the front of the engine is in the cabin to get the axles to line up with the wheel wells. We all saw what Mike_H did to make it work in his mark2

The 01X has a ring gear near the front, just behind the bellhousing, and the axles attach here, with the majority of the gearbox hanging out behind the axle centerlines. THis is just like the POrshe 911 trans (flipped around), and most mid-engine race car gearboxes.

Not a 01x, but an Audi Quattro automatic transaxle. It is similar in layout.

Why on earth anyone thinks they can use a conventional transmission is beyond me. Thier is no differential, and no place to attach axles to a CONVENTIONAL transmission, so you have to put on on the back of it (like the 97+ corvette transaxles, or the Porsche 928, the 924, 968, and 944).

I don't know the external demensions of the 3UR, but I have found after measuring many DOHC V8's that they are all fairly close in size. Usually 27-33 inches long from crank pulley to rear of the block. Usually around 26 to 33 inches wide cam cover to cam cover (not including headers).

These numbers WON'T work on a MR2 without major modifications.

The Audi V8 is very unusual in that it is 20.63 inches long and 27 or 29 (can't remember off the top of head) wide. The N* is very unusual in that it is 23 inches long and 27 wide.

The ONLY way I see this working is to lengthen the wheelbase of the MR2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
have patience

Johnny G said:
Can you put up the engine dimension, please? I'd like to know the physical size of the block.
I will as soon as a I get a chance.. :thumbup
Just busy with classes...

·
Registered
589 Posts
N/A Racer said:
Dierich is alot like Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris may push Earth down when doing a push up... but Dierich can fit Earth in the engine bay of an MR2... WITHOUT CUTTING!
well he did say he would be cutting the fire wall.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
well its been almost two months. either it never fit, or it was a v6 from a solara and didn't know.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts