MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am thinking about a 3sgte swap either next year or in 2 years for my 28 birthday from ATS Racing. I have the option of these 3 swaps which is a gen 3, basic gen 4/5, or a premium gen4/5 swap. I live in California so I would have to tell them to remove the down pipe from the premium swap. I have thought about doing the gen3 swap and adding in the speedometer, maintenance kit, rms, and Walbro fuel pump upgrades into the package for a total of a little over $7,000, the premium swap also costs $7,000 and has a gen4/5 instead of gen3 but does not upgrade the transmission to a E153 LSD nor give the option to have the speedometer upgraded. If parts would be way too hard to find for the 3sgte I might just stick with the n/a and buy a porsche 996 to split dailies with. What would you guys do? I am pretty happy with my n/a but would love more "oomphh". I love the body of the SW20 more than the Porsche so I am hoping to stay in mr2 land.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For that price go for a 2GR swap. About the same investment and more power/reliability. You would still need to find a E153 though and they seem to be getting more rare and pricey af. I've had a new one on order from Toyota for like 10 weeks now and no ETA.

If you are set on using ATS and going turbo, then I would do the GEN3 since it includes the trans and still makes good power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For that price go for a 2GR swap. About the same investment and more power/reliability. You would still need to find a E153 though and they seem to be getting more rare and pricey af. I've had a new one on order from Toyota for like 10 weeks now and no ETA.

If you are set on using ATS and going turbo, then I would do the GEN3 since it includes the trans and still makes good power.
I just found out about ETL Motorsports which is in SoCal so I wouldnt have to go out of state. I will most likely try them. I did a quick google search on the 2gr mr2 swap and it looks 'amazing'. A lot of power with that 2gr swap. Maybe I should drive my car for a couple years and then decide, I am not hp hungry I would just like enough power to be able to switch to a faster lane on the highway without fear of being rear ended from not being able to accelerate fast enough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The N/A isn't too bad. I vote for driving it a few years and really getting the feel for the car. There are tons of 2GR engines out there so no worry about if there will still be good low mileage ones around. They were in a ton of cars. Some good resources for the 2GR swap are:

Rat2 actually does the swap at a decent price and that is where I purchased my kit from (although still waiting on some parts that are on order from Japan so can't speak to the quality yet). I'll be doing the swap myself, but just purchased all the parts from them. I've only heard good things about Frakenstein and their YouTube channel is outstanding:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The N/A isn't too bad. I vote for driving it a few years and really getting the feel for the car. There are tons of 2GR engines out there so no worry about if there will still be good low mileage ones around. They were in a ton of cars. Some good resources for the 2GR swap are:

Rat2 actually does the swap at a decent price and that is where I purchased my kit from (although still waiting on some parts that are on order from Japan so can't speak to the quality yet). I'll be doing the swap myself, but just purchased all the parts from them. I've only heard good things about Frakenstein and their YouTube channel is outstanding:

Have you watched snow whites review of the 2gr mr2?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
What type of emissions testing do you have to pass in California? I was under the impression that you had to have an EGR system, none of the engines you listed had EGR from Japan. I think in a very rare example some European gen3 had EGR. You may be limited to a 2GR.

Keep in mind once you swap your MR2 this will likely be the last thing you have to do to your car, buying a used 996 will need repairs right away.

I would honestly skip the gen3 engine and go for gen4 to protect resale value (buyers want gen4). The gen4 engine has better electronics and a more responsive turbo which makes for a more enjoyable around town car. Gen4 also comes with OBD2 so you can plug in any code reader and get helpful diagnostic information, gen3 diagnostics are still done with a flashing light and really requires some interpretation as to what could really be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1. What type of emissions testing do you have to pass in California? I was under the impression that you had to have an EGR system, none of the engines you listed had EGR from Japan. I think in a very rare example some European gen3 had EGR. You may be limited to a 2GR.

Keep in mind once you swap your MR2 this will likely be the last thing you have to do to your car, buying a used 996 will need repairs right away.

I would honestly skip the gen3 engine and go for gen4 to protect resale value (buyers want gen4). The gen4 engine has better electronics and a more responsive turbo which makes for a more enjoyable around town car. Gen4 also comes with OBD2 so you can plug in any code reader and get helpful diagnostic information, gen3 diagnostics are still done with a flashing light and really requires some interpretation as to what could really be wrong.
    Wow that is great insight! I am a noob and only know that people say you cant have a down pipe in California. There is a shop in California called ETL Motorsports which works on mr2s and does swaps so I wont need to go out of state anymore :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just found out about ETL Motorsports which is in SoCal so I wouldnt have to go out of state. I will most likely try them. I did a quick google search on the 2gr mr2 swap and it looks 'amazing'. A lot of power with that 2gr swap. Maybe I should drive my car for a couple years and then decide, I am not hp hungry I would just like enough power to be able to switch to a faster lane on the highway without fear of being rear ended from not being able to accelerate fast enough.
I would be careful considering having ETL or Rat 2 doing any work on my car. These places are where MR2's go to die. My personal experience with ETL was not a good one and would not have them work on my car again. I know of people that have had their cars there for a couple of years. Rat 2 also has the same rep. They take your money and then never answer your calls. The proven safe shops are KO ATS and Prime

1 - 10 of 10 Posts