MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a rattle sound when idling, press the clutch pedal, the sound went away. recently bought the motor and tranny not really sure if the sound was there already. I've replaced the clutch, OEM Throw out bearing, and pressure plate. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Verify the noise is coming from the transmission. It may not be, I can tell you the MR2 Turbo I've driven with 50k miles on the odo and 100% stock noticeably rattles at cold start. My LS400 also has a bit of a rattle at cold start. If it goes away as the car warms up it's probably fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s definitely coming from the Tranny when I press the clutch pedal it goes away. I did use OEM T/out bearing bought from my local Toyota dealership

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s definitely coming from the Tranny when I press the clutch pedal it goes away. I did use OEM T/out bearing bought from my local Toyota dealership
Is your flywheel stock and in good condition? Lightweight flywheels can cause these kinds of rattles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM Fly Wheel. I had it smoothed out before put in back in. I am not noticing any driving issue. Only when at idle, i can hear it from inside the cabin. When I push the clutch in it's quiet.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What brand of clutch kit did you install? You sure every bolt was torqued to proper oem specs with thread lock compounds?
You greased the input shaft n TOB per the repair manual instructions?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the Exedy clutch kit. It is not the most expensive or cheap. Torqued to specs and thread lock. I don’t recall whether I greased the input shaft and TOB. I may have to remove the E153 and inspect. Does the sub frame has to come out to remove trann?

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Mine does this as well. I'm not sure if it's the throw out bearing, or if it's transmission related. Sorry, not a terribly helpful comment, but at least you aren't the only one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts