MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys know anything about it? i've been told that all i would need is the engine, wiring harness, and ecu. but leery as to the specifics of the swap. i have a 91 n/a and i know that the stock tranny can fit it. can any of you bestow some wisdom on me?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
you'll need an engine that will cost you more than a regular 3sgte and be slower

unless that's a typo and you meant to say 3sgte..?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
which gen of 3sge

the only one really worth considering is the last BEAMS iteration

but really, why do you want to go camry-power-level NA to honda-power-level NA?

if you're going to spend the money I'd get something with a bit more go... *cough*turbo*cough* :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not quite the beams version cause they are too hard to find and support is even less. i'm thinking about getting the 3rd gen 3sge. i want more pep then my 5sfe and don't want to go turbo thus the 3sge.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
in that case, if you are going to do all the work yourself, rebuild yr 5sfe. Use stock bore, deck block to max, shave head to max, get 1 mm oversized 3sge pistons, 2.5 mm headgasket, clock yr cams one tooth off. Should up yr CR and give you better top end. At least that's what i've got on paper so far, hehe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
dude if you want more power, dont waste your money putting in a 3sge. buy the time you put it in and buying all the parts you need, you could have just put in a 3sgte or a V6. I did my 5sfe to esgte this summer and cost me $1000 more than what i thought it would be.

M

·
0 Posts
If you can get the 3sge for $750 and say $250 for the ecu and harness. $1000 wouldn't be that bad for the major parts. Set aside another $500 for just in case parts and its still not that pricy. Install for an NA engine should be simplier so DIY could be easier and having a shop do it could be cheaper. 170hp and 140ft/lbs isn't bad at all. Better bang for your buck then buying headers, intakes, and exhaust.

Turbo is of course better but you would probably be closer to $4,000. If you had the money of course it would be the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't you find a pullapart somewhere with a 3sge in a celcia?
there were 4 at one time in tacma a while back
100 or 150 for the engine, 12.50 for the wire harness, 16.50 for the ecu....
stock for stock the performance is about the same, but as far as parts and such the 3sge absolutely owns the 5sfe.
ever seen the ports of a stock 3sge? sweet ports.
theoretically, 11.5 to one, 272 cams, 4 throttle, and a decent flywheel you'd have a sweet n/a mr2..
wanna change the cam timing on a 5sfe?
HA!
advance or retard both.....
don;t let people dog you, a 3sge mr2 would be sweet.
I seem to remeber reading somewhere, celica forum or something, that a 3sge head fits on a 5s block.
never bothered to research it though.....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i used to have a 96 3sge but never installed it, sold it to marco yaya (marco69) and he loves it. i think alot of genIII's are going for 1500 or less area. extra grand and you could have a genII 3sgte(jdm), but NA's are so reliable its hard not to get one.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
bowlofrice said:
how did you get a hold of your 3sge? did marco do the swap himself?
yeah he did, got in from a an importer in calgary few years ago; right now hes hard to get ahold of though, never answers emails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts