MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, need some advise. My car running on 3S-gtt failed to start one morning. This is what happened: I cranked it early in the morning and it kinda built up compression to start and just lost compression in all cylinders like the timing belt is broken or jumped out of timing. Opened up the timing and found all Mark's in place, timing belt as good as. Checked inlet, exhaust blockage, did wet compression test and it's at zero.. Removed cylinder head and found all postpones in place all valves in place and confused. Being a mechanic for good 27 years did all I could think of my mind and cannot find the problem. All gear keys checked, cam shaft checked, crank shaft checked. Any one out there with such finding please share. Bobby

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi there, need some advise. My car running on 3S-gtt failed to start one morning. This is what happened: I cranked it early in the morning and it kinda built up compression to start and just lost compression in all cylinders like the timing belt is broken or jumped out of timing. Opened up the timing and found all Mark's in place, timing belt as good as. Checked inlet, exhaust blockage, did wet compression test and it's at zero.. Removed cylinder head and found all postpones in place all valves in place and confused. Being a mechanic for good 27 years did all I could think of my mind and cannot find the problem. All gear keys checked, cam shaft checked, crank shaft checked. Any one out there with such finding please share. Bobby
You sure they starter was engaging the flywheel, and not just free spinning? Maybe the teeth are stripped on the flywheel or starter?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Mechanic for 27 yrs but your description of symptoms says backyard mechanic for 1 week.

How do you know it built up compression? Was a compression test gauge on at the time?
You've gone to a lot of hassle removing head for a non-start issue.
Put everything back together first off.
2nd: Does the motor turn by hand? Is the starter engaging?
Is there spark when firing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts