MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I were debating which japanese sports car (90s on) had the most technology? No set criteria, just your own I guess......anyways, he claimed it was the 3S-GTE because he believes the MR2 is gods chariot (and because its like an exotic) but I said it was probably the Supra since it makes such big power so easily. What do you think?....yes this is a silly discussion....

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
i dont see how your friend considers a 3sgte an "exotic" since they were available in the states...

typical supra fanboy attracted to dyno numbers. the jap car with the most technology imo of the 90's is probably the r34 gtr.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Most technology doesnt actually mean best engineered. The Mr2 T, Supra TT, 300ZX TT, 180sx, Skylines can all produce a ton a pretty reliable horsepower so i would say they are all awesome engineered engines.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
right on the money deez nutz. The r34 had a stock lcd screen in the car to monitor boost, egt, and other parameters. Although many ppl think itra is a 4wd vehicle, they are only partially correct. The front wheels only kicked in when the rears slipped. It was also engineered in the wind tunnel with under body panels for aerodynamics. Many others to be listed, but i dont wanna take a whole page up with mindless r34 facts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
G3aR said:
. Although many ppl think itra is a 4wd vehicle, they are only partially correct. The front wheels only kicked in when the rears slipped.
isn't that how all cars and most suv's AWD systems work?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
lDeeZ lNuTz said:
i dont see how your friend considers a 3sgte an "exotic" since they were available in the states...

typical supra fanboy attracted to dyno numbers. the jap car with the most technology imo of the 90's is probably the r34 gtr.
Nice how he said motor the r34 isn't a motor. The supra by far is a much better motor than the rb26dett.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
TheDarkMajestic said:
Nice how he said motor the r34 isn't a motor. The supra by far is a much better motor than the rb26dett.
don't belittle me, i know what he asked for, if you read his post he also asked "which japanese sports car (90s on) had the most technology?" and last time i checked a MOTOR isn't a CAR.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd go with the RB26DETT. The 2JZ-GTE has the same problem that the RB30's have (infact, it is identical in bore and stroke to the RB30) in that the stroke is too long and puts way too much side loading on the pistons and also has too great a velocity on the rotating assemblies and thus can't rev high nor hard.

If you destroked the 2JZ to something between the 1JZ (~2500cc) and the 2JZ (~3000cc) to around 2600-2700cc, you'd have a much better motor - but then the problem becomes the heads themselves and their nowhere near as refined as the RB26's. But the simple fact is all motors have a weakness and the RB26DETT is far from omni-potent but like the 2JZ-GTE it's pretty close.

The RB26DETT vs. 2JZ-GTE debate will never end or will it? The 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT are both superb engines I wouldn't mind having either one. Even though out of production these are the two most technically advanced japanese engines imo.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Driz26 said:
I'd go with the RB26DETT. The 2JZ-GTE has the same problem that the RB30's have (infact, it is identical in bore and stroke to the RB30) in that the stroke is too long and puts way too much side loading on the pistons and also has too great a velocity on the rotating assemblies and thus can't rev high nor hard.

If you destroked the 2JZ to something between the 1JZ (~2500cc) and the 2JZ (~3000cc) to around 2600-2700cc, you'd have a much better motor - but then the problem becomes the heads themselves and their nowhere near as refined as the RB26's.

The RB26DETT vs. 2JZ-GTE debate will never end or will it?
finally, someone that says their thoughts and provides reasons for them! to say, "hey, the rb26 is the best engine ever", does nothing, if you don't have proof to back up your side, your opinion is useless.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
The 2JZ-GTE has the same problem that the RB30's have (infact, it is identical in bore and stroke to the RB30) in that the stroke is too long and puts way too much side loading on the pistons and also has too great a velocity on the rotating assemblies and thus can't rev high nor hard.
which is exactly why you see 2jz motors popping left and right, correct? :lol:

theres nothing fantastically special about revving to a gazillion rpm. if your powerband from idle to redline is monsterous, its kind of a null point.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lDeeZ lNuTz said:

I'm not a fanboy by any means, the fastest two cars I've ever ridden in/driven were single turbo supras so I respect them. I drove a R33 skyline (GT-S with the rb25) and although it wasn't a GT-R I wasn't that impressed. Like the Supra, its just a car.....

how about a 3000GT VR-4? They had all-wheel drive, that weird 4 wheel-steering and all kinds of crazy gadgets......

·
Registered
872 Posts
Driz26 said:

If you destroked the 2JZ to something between the 1JZ (~2500cc) and the 2JZ (~3000cc) to around 2600-2700cc, you'd have a much better motor - but then the problem becomes the heads themselves and their nowhere near as refined as the RB26's. But the simple fact is all motors have a weakness and the RB26DETT is far from omni-potent but like the 2JZ-GTE it's pretty close.

The RB26DETT vs. 2JZ-GTE debate will never end or will it? The 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT are both superb engines I wouldn't mind having either one. Even though out of production these are the two most technically advanced japanese engines imo.
If this were the case why do all of the toughest GTR's run stroked engines? They mostly run the OS 3 litre which is 86x86mm. Sure revs are cool but the 2J makes the power without needing the stress that comes from huge revs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Will the RB26DETT vs 2JZ-GTE debate ever end? As proved by this thread; No. AnthonyA182 my bad, because of my opinion this thread seems to be turning into a debate between the RB and the 2JZ. BTW I heard the mitsubishi 6G72T(3000GT engine) is potent too. My knowledge on how durable it is and how much hp can be extracted from it compared to the RB and 2JZ isn't great.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Now, this is a useful post if I've ever seen one (highly technical and insightful)!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marco69 said:
Now, this is a useful post if I've ever seen one (highly technical and insightful)!
I think you meant to say "thread" instead of "post". But as it turns out your POST was neither highly technical nor insightful :smile:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts