MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a 3rd gen 3sge engine and i was told if i want to get more power is to go turbo.
i really want to stay N/A becouse i do alot of auto-x and i think N/A is better.
but maybe im wrong.
if i would want to go turbo on this engine how much would it cost me if anyone would know and what would i need? i also think most of the turbo parts should bolt right on this engine.
i really dont know much about mr2's its 1st for me and im trying my best
im sorry if im asking too many questions.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
questions are great, ill be a dick and say use the search function. however yes the turbo components of a 3sgte will bolt up, but im gunna be the only one here that says screw the turbo, be unique and tune the 3sge. i mean its your car who cares what anyone else has to say, throw a header and exhaust on it, ITB's, cams, more fuel, maybe nitrous (not really necessary for autocross), ems, then spend all your money on suspension and brake components, then the rest on tires :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I've read, you just need to bolt on the right intake and exhaust manifolds. Also you'd need to drill a tap for the oil supply to the turbo....and obviously the ECU and such.

·
Registered
206 Posts
im assuming the 3SGE has a higher compression than the 3SGTE. you may want to consider pistons to lower the compression, unless you plan to run low boost. depending on hp level you are aiming for, fuel upgrades like injectors and a pump will probably be required.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think 300 at the crank should be fine for this car...and easy to auto-x it with out loosing control on the track.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Critchie said:
questions are great, ill be a dick and say use the search function. however yes the turbo components of a 3sgte will bolt up, but im gunna be the only one here that says screw the turbo, be unique and tune the 3sge. i mean its your car who cares what anyone else has to say, throw a header and exhaust on it, ITB's, cams, more fuel, maybe nitrous (not really necessary for autocross), ems, then spend all your money on suspension and brake components, then the rest on tires :)
Your not the only one, I have a turbo model but I think a kick a$$ N/A would rule. It would be unique and because you autoX, the power would come to you instantly rather than waiting a couple thousand RPMs for the turbo. As he said just buy some less restrictive airflow components then beef up your suspension and brakes. That would make for a great autoXer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got the 95 turbo calipers with trd pads, suspension i got kyb agx with h&r springs. new trd bushings all around, the car handels very good no a/c, no power steering no sterio system in it not even spekers, nothing power and all what is possible to take out is out of the car to make it lighter.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You should leave it NA IMO. The 3S-GE can make pretty good power with basic bolt-ons. If you want to go Turbo you would be better off selling that car to someone else and buying a Turbo car. Nice car by the way, I remember when Marco was building up a crazy 5S-FE for that thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
igaleli said:
i think 300 at the crank should be fine for this car...and easy to auto-x it with out loosing control on the track.
Shouldn't be a problem, my MR2 was born an NA- 3S-GE, when the engine leaks and need an overhaul I was fortunate enough to com across a 3S-GTE head.
To cut story short, my lower block(crank, rod) are all from 3S-GE including my gearbox!. Change all the head and whats attached to the head to a 3S-GTE , and this also include importantly low comp piston(3S-GTE). At the time I bolt on Greddy's TD-05 to the 'refreshed engine' now I'm using Apexi's turbo- other upgrades including fuel and sparks, I've been boosting the car to 17psi(1.15bar) regularly... engine have been running bout 8 yrs now. Must say I haven't drove the car for the last 2 mths, just sitting pretty in the garage ;) ...
Don't know if I got any engine pics but if any interrested here how the car looks now, might find a better pics or recent pics next time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/IsRs/modcopy1.jpg

good luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
good link:
http://www.toysport.com/Technical Information/3sgt_tech_notes.htm

also the 3sge has no piston coolers, but u can tap them in.

ur running 10.3:1 compression on a 3sge if u leave the same compression on 98ron fuel you can run 5_6 psi safe, with that boost and compression you have very quick spool, and better fuel economy then the 3sgte with low compression,but there is no room for error, you can get boost spike or something and easy run to detonation land.

I have a gen3 3sge as well, was considering the same thing as you , but could not take a risk on running a high compression engine on boost. unless you have the money and do it right by getting a standalone,high quality waste gates , tune...

buy why reinvent the wheel by spending all the money, just get yourself a 3sgte gen3 and boost 15PSI instead, safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts