MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since no one had one, i went ahead and started my own from the most accurate plans i could find. they appear to be from some technical manual since the plans also list the tirning circle for left and right side, the length in mm, and other misc stuff that magazines or toy boxes wouldnt put in.

updated:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need something i know is accurate to plan out the full body I will be building. I made a post asking for any leads to an existing model and only got requests and hints, nothing too concrete so I went ahead myself.

Once I'm done, I'll release the 3D so people can use it for themselves (virtually try out or make a lip/bumper/whatever, try out paint, whatever they want).

·
Registered
816 Posts
what software are you using? looks pretty good so far. I started a model once, got about half way done and moved on to another project.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3D Studio Max 7 for this project, though I also use Softimage XSI 5, Maya 7 and Rhino (occasionally).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
ooh ive tried Maya7 to model a digital camera for school...it came out ok, but it was polygonal not nurbs :( nurbs uber confuses me

btw the model is looking good

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nurbs is very tricky, essentially you're making everything out of rectangualr strips that you distort. on something like a computer mouse, it's not that complex, but a face or car..ugh. Rhino ues advanced volumetric nrbs which allow you to cut in and basically do what you could in real life, but it bogs down with detail.

I work in max because I can do it quickly and with polygons it's easy to cut and do whatever I want, then I apply smoothing.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
you cant do that in maya?

the thing is im studying to become a car designer (styling, not engineering) and nowadays, digital modeling is becoming more and more important. when i tried with maya, it was pretty overwhelming...although after a couple days of fidgeting with it, i got a decent result. so you like 3ds max better than maya? 3ds max seems to be more popular, but alot of major car companies use maya for some reason..

i really want to learn 3d but i cant find much info on it

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm a maya guy, so I can tell you some helpful stuff about that. www.learningmaya.com is a pretty good site. And the Gnomon Workshop tutorials are good too, do a search on those. I've used max before and I really liked it, but I use a mac, which it doesn't run on. too bad.

AutoMX, keep us posted on your progress!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure it can be done in maya, and i could easily work there too, but max is easy to set up for real life units and then quicker for modeling for me.

this isnt by any means my first model, but the more you do the faster you get.
the SLR was done in patches, which is kind of a mix between nurbs and poly.

these are 100% poly

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
that lambo looks pretty rendered to me :)

but yea man...thats pretty amazing..you never considered doing 3d professionally?

how do you get the polygon models so smooth? It was hard enough to get the simple shape i wanted for the camera, and it was still allitle jagged. but these models are alot more complex AND very smooth.???

i did the tutorial with the metal gears and the screwdriver one too(i think) are those the genome workshop ones?

heres my digital camera model

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

There's the mesh before smoothing. You need to bevel the edges to keep the smoothing from ruining the shape. Works the same in any 3D program.

I should mention I am picking 3D for a job, heh, just that I'm focusing on animation over modeling or rendering.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, all of those are in 3D Studio Max (version 6 and 7) using VRay rendering software. my maya stuff is mostly animation stuff so not much to show really.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts