MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The buick 3800 series is a pretty common swap for fiero guys, and it's damn cheap in comparison to any of these swaps here. surprisingly the 3800SC seems to be a pretty good engine, powerful, fairly efficient, and quite reliable too. As far as I know it bolts on to the fiero transaxle.

so call me dumb but that sounds pretty good if you ask me. i'd rather have an asian engine, but at under $1000 for a donor car, $200 for the tranny + axles etc, sounds pretty good to me. the engine is already transverse mounted and the fiero is MR so no fiddling with the tranny needed. it's also a couple inches wider so it would push out the rear wheels out a bit with no spacers :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Well, I dont know where everyone is getting the idea that the toyota V6 swaps are expensive. I got engine, ECU, sensors hoses everything for around that price and added a turbo/intercooler and pipeing for just a bit more and the engine pretty much just bolted up. No buick engine is going to do that.

You are correct in your thinking though, it makes a good swap and I know of at least 1 MKI MR2 that has the 3800 in it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Those custom axles aren't in your cost analysis.

Also, the wiring might be a little less than fun.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there's no way to aviod the wiring issue, so indeed wiring wouldnt be fun. but it's not expensive either if you do it yourself but i'm sure everyone gets what's involved here (and i dont mean that its easy).

custom axles? was that for the fiero tranny setup i mentioned or the toyota v6 reply?

the fiero setup i suggested would involve the suspension and axles (and more) from the fiero to save the custom fab work.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I was referring to the Fiero-to-Toyota axles. Carl Crawford put the 3800 SC in his MK1 years ago. If you HAD to know, I'm sure his info is around somewhere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Auto MX said:
the fiero setup i suggested would involve the suspension and axles (and more) from the fiero to save the custom fab work.
ummn.

I'm a relative noob so could possibly be missing something major.. But how the hell is fitting fiero suspension /axles ( and more ) from the fiero saving on custom work compared to just having custom axles made from mr2 outers/fiero inners.

I'd hate to think what kinda work you would need to do just to fit fiero suspension.. :rolleyes: and why?

Auto MX said:
it's also a couple inches wider so it would push out the rear wheels out a bit with no spacers .
Ok, so we'd fit fiero suspension to move the rear wheels outwards... and thats easier and a better idea than spacers.................. :p whats wrong with wheels that have the correct offset and decent width.

This thread confuses me.

-Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts