MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car's been on the road over a year, performing well. Local dyno availability has been a challenge, but finally locked down a session. Results are about 95% due to the street tune, I made 10 pulls for this graph.

Build details:
-5sgte ('98 Camry block, CP custom 9:1 compression pistons with custom ATS .030" 5sgte MHG = 9.5:1 ratio, Eagle rods)
-3sge cams, ATS adjustable gears still straight up, shimless buckets
-GT3040 (GT3082 BB turbo, both oil/water...never rebuilt since 2003)
-CyKlops high-flow A2W
-Honda P06 ecu, Neptune software, dual maps (pump gas primary, and high-boost water-meth secondary map featuring Gear vs RPM PWM)
-2.5" quiet muffler with electronic cutout to 4" aluminum exhaust
-servo TVIS (begins to open at 3500 and is fully open by 3900 RPM)
-Ignition: J&S Knockguard with igniterless modification, MSD 6A (it's been in every engine version in this car for 20 years) with custom thermaltake cooling fan
-individual EGT's/cyl

Spark blowout/foulout prevented completing any secondary map (water-meth) pulls, but it was making 400whp by 5800 RPM (also 21psi). Expect those results soon, with more than 21psi boost I promise.

A few other notes:
-200wtq occurred at 3200 RPM for this graph (3000 RPM for the water-meth pulls, BTW). The TVIS combined with the 5s block is deadly for spool even on this big ol' turbo, and the turbo combined with the 3sge cams gives it that extra freedom up top. I'll get some torque graphs next time, but the HP shape will tell you the area under the curve. All pulls began at around 165wtq/2350-ish RPM.
-some tuning details, if you notice the pull #101 (green line), the J&S was responding to minor knock and pulling out a degree of timing from 4625rpm to 5600rpm, resulting in boost up to 22psi, but not the best hp result. By pulling out only a quarter degree of timing in 3 cells, the J&S knock response all but vanished and this resulted in more actual timing... I even upped the boost by one psi for pull #102, and yet it resulted in a lower overall boost level max of 21 psi because there was more actual timing, and the best whp pull yet.
-there's more power in here yet, I haven't even touched the cam gears. Currently I have the rev limiter at 7675, but I may raise that since the head can handle it.

91 Pump-gas, 21 psi, primary map using gear-target PWM:

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That awesome! And crazy the amount of work required to get that amount of power out of the 3SGTE.
Thanks!
This power (peak) number itself is not too hard to attain, but getting the broad torque band on 91 pump is the trick. The majority of the work/time went into smaller innovations that help eak out VE, early spool from a big turbo... the best of both worlds, cake and eat it, etc.

I'm eager to see the water-meth numbers once I get the foulout/W-M-injection/ignition issues sorted... it's literally on 3 cylinders above 6000 rpm on water-meth. Clean runs will reveal where this setup will top out due to the 3sge cams, TVIS etc becoming substantial holdbacks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dyno

Very nice spool with that big turbo. I'd like to see your torque graph with that setup too, I bet it's good.

I'm running 3sge NA intake cams too on both the intake & exhaust sides with a GT3071 setup and they really help in the low and mid range giving a nice torque plateau which I find is great for street driving.(Plot in dyno section)

Nice setup congrats.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice spool with that big turbo. I'd like to see your torque graph with that setup too, I bet it's good.

I'm running the 3sge NA cams too on the intake & exhaust with a GT3071 setup and they really help in the low and mid range giving a nice torque plateau which I find is great for street driving.(Plot in dyno section)

Nice setup congrats.
Thank-you. Yes I remember referencing your dyno chart a little while ago. That graph is with W/M injection, right? What type of activation do you have for your Coolingmist? And nozzle size?

I'll bring the ramp rate down for some more load next session.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The car was tuned without any water / meth injecting with Petro Can 94 Octane.

I added the W/I strictly as a safety layer as I run around 19psi on the street now.

Activation is very simple with an adjustable PSI switch injecting at 10+ pounds boost and I think it was a 5 GPH nozzle, I'd have to check my notes as it's been a while LOL.

That must be insane in a Mk1! Is traction an issue with AW11 tire size?

When you dial in the cams & I'm sure you'll pick up even more spool as the
3sge centerlines are a bit different.

Keep us updated. You do great work in all aspects with the car and your upgrades with A2W & brakes etc. are of great interest for my SC too.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car was tuned without any water / meth injecting with Petro Can 94 Octane.

I added the W/I strictly as a safety layer as I run around 19psi on the street now.

Activation is very simple with an adjustable PSI switch injecting at 10+ pounds boost and I think it was a 5 GPH nozzle, I'd have to check my notes as it's been a while LOL.

That must be insane in a Mk1! Is traction an issue with AW11 tire size?

When you dial in the cams & I'm sure you'll pick up even more spool as the
3sge centerlines are a bit different.

Keep us updated. You do great work in all aspects with the car and your upgrades with A2W & brakes etc. are of great interest for my SC too.
Very nice.
So 5gph that's about a 300ml/min nozzle.

I do have 245 40 16's on the back, Toyo Proxes, so grip is about as decent as I can get without switching to 17's which I want to avoid... for street tires. On the water-meth map, it's all gear vs RPM PWM so I can dial in the boost I want per gear to keep things as fast as possible. 1st and 2nd the boost is all the way down (about 14 psi with cutout open) and they always spin. 3rd gear rips rip loose all by itself 17-21psi (not after shift), but the car stays straight and hooks... 4th will rip loose too if there is anything but perfect road conditions. Then I dialled the boost up to about 24psi a few days ago to see if the foulout would change due to the water-meth maxing out at 20 psi (it didn't) and get the mid-rpm street-tuned, it's getting fun that's for sure.

I might try some exhaust cam retard, but I am impressed with the power band straight up on these 3sge's. Advancing the intake will also advance the overall ignition timing, I'll leave that for last.

Thanks Tony!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts