MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
i was getting air from my pcv as well. i would guess if there is blowby, it would be due to a cold engine not sealing perfectly moreso than just toasted rings.

H

·
0 Posts
can you hear air going through the open valves in the motor? I'm pushing about 22psi accordin to the gauge through my line but then i built a gauge into the tester as well and only create about 12psi in the entire system when the aic and pcv is capped.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
To block off extra hoses, I know someone that puts bolts into the hoses that go to items that may leak. Like the a/c idle control, he blocks off by pulling the hoses to it, inserting appropriate size bolts, and uses a hose clamp to seal it in...

·
Registered
760 Posts
i bought this elbow shaped one instead, it makes it a little easier when going through this.
its about $3 dollars more than the short straight one but i still put this together for under 20 bucks at lowes. i think my plug came straight from heaven, shines like that in the dark too... :smile:

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
The guy that pressure tested my car way back when had one with about a 3' pipe section after the elbow so the gauge and nozzle was out of the engine bay. It's hard to explain, but his was the best...but a little bulky...

·
Registered
105 Posts
lol yup, home depot sucks, they never have what you want until you are where you need to be haha
mr2racer22 said:
Well I just tried making one of these home made pressure testers, and kinda gave up for now in the end as well.

Went to home depot bought a 3inch and it's way to big (even for my td06 sitting in the garage)...so went back and bought a 2 inch since I couldn't find a 2.5 inch. It ended up being the exact same size as the inlet lol...Has anyone found a 2.5 piping at either Home Depot or Lowes? I went to both and all they had were
1, 1 1/2, 2, 3 & 4inches....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking for a way to efficiently find my boost leak, this seems to be the best way without a smoke machine.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
leak at MBC?

Should there be a leak at the MBC? I turned on the compressor and air was coming out of the mbc. I was doing some searches and that the mbc should be leaking air?

I have one of the screw type mbc's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
713 Posts
ivanhu said:
Should there be a leak at the MBC? I turned on the compressor and air was coming out of the mbc. I was doing some searches and that the mbc should be leaking air?

I have one of the screw type mbc's.

Thanks!
I found the same thing happened on my Twos R Us MBC. It leaks out of that little hole on top, roght? I found that changing the knob's position can make it stop (forgot whether CW or CCW). My guess is that if you're using way more pressure than needed to open the wastegate, the ball in the MBC will compress the MBC spring far enough for the air to reach the channel connected to that hole, so air leaks out. It would make sense that if you turn the knob CW and increase pressure on the spring, it will keep the ball from compressing the spring as much, thus not reaching the relief channel, or whatever it is. It might be built in to keep the MBC from exploding with a crapload of boost. Just guessing...

·
Registered
49 Posts
So... I have fixed two leaks, the turbo fitting 'Barb to Brits..' and the EGR with plates. I am still leaking a ton of air somewhere... There is a loud air noise coming from around the intake manifold... Any ideas? The sound is coming from under the EGR.

I do not think its the BPV or wastegate, but I could be wrong.

Common things to check in this area? I have heard the fuel rail can leak. How do i test that? I am a newb, but capabile of working down the list... I also have a BGB that I can look at, just need a push.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i have a question too.(have to dig this out)
whats with that open TB?isnt a pair of valves always open?
So in that case i never can pressurize the system except when the TB is closed?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts