MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much research I'm gonna start my first swap ever and drop a 2zz in my aw11. I currently have not purchased anything but have plans to snag the motor from a junkyard for cheap. Now, to my understanding, there are few hurdles with this swap and I just want to check with you guys before I start dropping money...

Wiring: I plan on making it easy on myself and having mr220v over at wiregap do this for me. All I should need are the harnesses from the stock 4age and the new 2zz correct?

Mounts: if I have this right, this swap is mostly bolt in but I would need to fabricate some sort of plate for the passenger side mount. Should I invest in new polyurethane ones to deal with the extra power? Anything I should know or is this pretty easy to figure out once I start actually looking at everything?

Transmission/linkage: sounds like all I have do using the c60 from the celica is rotate the bracket/cables/whatever shtuff 180 degrees? Possibly need to use the stock c60 bracket?

Axles: this sounds pretty easy, just 91+ mr2 na axles. No modification needed I assume.

Fuel: I'm a little confused here. From what I understand, the 4age has a return system and the 2zz has returnless. I read on a previous post here I think from retroskippy that you just need an afpr between the fuel filter and rail, using an adapter for AN fittings. I've also heard of modifying the fuel pump inside the tank. I don't have emissions where I live, nor do I care if I have cel as long as the engine is running correctly. Just looking for the easiest way to do this properly. Also sounds like the fuel pressure should be set around 45-50psi?

Coolant lines: sounds like there are a bunch of ways to do this, but I read that the coolant filler neck is an issue but couldn't find anything in depth about it?

Exhaust: sounds like I can either cut and reweld the flange off the stock 2zz header and do a custom down pipe/b pipe/ whatever it's called, or use an aftermarket header meant for mk3 2zz swaps, along with a custom b pipe. Not too worried here, exhaust stuff is pretty straightforward.

Now I assume once I have the engine out of the car and the 2zz and c60 on hand, I should be able to figure out a lot this on my own, but I figure it doesn't hurt to check your information. Lastly is there anything I might be missing here? Any possible hiccups I could run into? I'd like for this car to be dd'able sometime this summer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you go poly on motor mounts, go with all of them. I'm super happy with the drilled poly mounts on my 4AGTE that Matrix Garage sells, they don't ruin the car like solid poly mounts do. I had solid poly on my 2RZ swapped RA65 Celica and they were... tolerable.
From everything I've read, 91 NA axles are the ticket for putting the C60 into your car. Finding them will be interesting, the left side is available new, but I haven't seen the right side anywhere.
You are correct that the 2ZZ has a returnless fuel system. If it's a simple system where the regulator is in the tank, then using an adjustable pressure reg that is set to run the pressure at 2ZZ levels will do what you need.
Coolant lines for engine swaps tend to take some fabricating to get right. After a quick google search it looks like you'll need to make some custom bit, unless there's an off the shelf option I haven't heard of. Do you have or know anyone with a TIG welder? can make some sweet stainless or aluminum lines that way ;)
Kind of the same story on exhaust, you'll be getting stuff fabricated if there isn't an off the shelf solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet I'll be sure to snag those mounts. A friend of mine has a cheap welding setup that I might use for the exhaust but for the coolant lines, I'll just stick to normal rubber. Seems like it will be easier though not as nice. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update: got the new engine and transmission. Currently pulling 4age out right now and should have it out by Tuesday. I sourced a mr2 spyder transmission off of ebay actually instead of getting the celica trans. Found a thread where mr220v suggested using the c56 from the spyder to make it easier since the original axles could be used (checked the local junkyards and no one had sw20 axles, parts stores only carry one side) and I should be able to swap everything from the c50 to the c56 (selector shaft and linkages). Unfortunately after I bought the transmission I found some other threads where people say that a lot of fab work needs to be done to make it work. Just looking at it, I don't see much that needs to done, the linkage likely needs to altered/changed though. If this becomes too much of a headache I can just sell it and find a c60 and wait till some axles pop up.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 GT 2ZZ Swapped
8 Posts
Yeah, there is some fab work involved. I used the c60 trans from my celica gts donor car, so it may be slightly different for you, but for me, the bracket that holds the linkages in place, it just needs to be trimmed in a couple of places to fit. I did have to extend the shifter arms on the trans itself in order to all line up. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but it seemed to work pretty well for me.
I can send some pictures if you'd like too.

And there is a couple of hiccups you'll have to deal with doing the swap. In order for the speedo to work, you'll need to swap over the manual, cable unit on the stock c52 from the mr2 and put it in your new trans, but in order to lift to work on the 2zz, you need a speed sensor signal to the ecu, which can be wired in from the dash itself.

The radiator fans are controlled by a sensor that isn't controlled by the ecu, so you won't have to worry about it when doing the wiring.

Let me know if you have any questions about the swap, it's a pretty big job, but pretty straight forward!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, there is some fab work involved. I used the c60 trans from my celica gts donor car, so it may be slightly different for you, but for me, the bracket that holds the linkages in place, it just needs to be trimmed in a couple of places to fit. I did have to extend the shifter arms on the trans itself in order to all line up. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but it seemed to work pretty well for me.
I can send some pictures if you'd like too.

And there is a couple of hiccups you'll have to deal with doing the swap. In order for the speedo to work, you'll need to swap over the manual, cable unit on the stock c52 from the mr2 and put it in your new trans, but in order to lift to work on the 2zz, you need a speed sensor signal to the ecu, which can be wired in from the dash itself.

The radiator fans are controlled by a sensor that isn't controlled by the ecu, so you won't have to worry about it when doing the wiring.

Let me know if you have any questions about the swap, it's a pretty big job, but pretty straight forward!
So just curious, I transferred my mechanical speed sensor from the c50 to the c56. But it looks like there's an electrical one already in place in a different spot on the c56. Could I just use that instead of running wiring from the dash to the ecu? It's just a small 2 wire connector. I assume my 2zz harness already has a plug for it which would be much easier lol.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 GT 2ZZ Swapped
8 Posts
Wouldn't that be the reverse switch on top of the gearbox?
Yeah, that just the reverse switch, which reminds me, that's another connection you'll have to splice into the MR2's original electrical harness haha.

Wiring the 2zz ECU into the speedo from the dash isn't too hard, there's already a wire that goes to the engine bay that went to the 4A-GE ECU, you just need to connect it to the 2zz's instead. Just a matter of figuring out which wire is which lol. I bought a AW11 electrical service manual on ebay for like $20 and it was very helpful for figuring that all out. there's also a brief summary of the wiring in the back of the big green book which you can find online pretty easily, same with the 2zz wiring stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok neat. Sounds easy enough. Thanks a bunch for the help too. Btw the engine is out and I've got most of the accessories figured out on the 2zz. The starter, ecu, and some miscellaneous bolts should be getting here today. After that, I just need a clutch and flywheel, wiring, motor mounts, and I'll be installing the engine. I am very much excited lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get the c60, even with ems with VVTLI control the difference between the gearing is noticeable. Powerband is everything with the 2zzge. I'd strongly suggest throwing in a Quaife LSD if you go that way.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 GT 2ZZ Swapped
8 Posts
Get the c60, even with ems with VVTLI control the difference between the gearing is noticeable. Powerband is everything with the 2zzge. I'd strongly suggest throwing in a Quaife LSD if you go that way.
I 2nd this, I really need a LSD in mine haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm aware of the gearing problem. This isn't gonna be a dedicated track/autocross car, just something to have fun with. I'm hoping that with my slightly smaller diameter wheel/tire combo and the higher redline/lower engagement point of the 03 matrix ecu I should be able to compensate a bit for it. I don't know how long I'll keep this car, but if I decide to keep it long term I am not above dropping the engine and swapping the trans ;). The spyder trans was more to help lower the cost of the project. I probably saved almost 400 bucks by not having to buy new axles and not paying extra for the 6th gear. I still have other suspension bits and brakes to do on this car, and that takes money too lol. I'm not making as much money right now due to covid so every bit saved counts.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 GT 2ZZ Swapped
8 Posts
That makes a sense, that's kinda how mine has been too. Using the stock axles does sound a lot easier that trying to find those stupid mk2 axles, lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PSA: anyone looking at doing one of these swaps should check out the zzw11 mr2 facebook group. Lots of helpful resources dedicated for putting a 2zz in an aw11. That is all :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts