MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sourced an engine, harness and ecu:banana ... working on the 6spd. Its beginning to get exciting here:excited

Now my questions:

- Will i have to get a new guage cluster or will my speedo and tach work with this setup...if so, ill have just started to make power as i enter red :thumbup

I'm wondering if I could just not wire the electronic speedo/odom if thats what the celica is equiped with and just go 86 mechanical?

- Im assuming the 2zz is an obd2, what will i need to do to upgrade? add an extra O2

- planning on trying MKII n/a or camry half shafts, hoping these will work

Im sure there is soooo much more in the electrical dept I may be overlooking. I intend to run my a/c, though wondering what conflict I may have trying to control with the '86 setup. Is it possible to make compatable with the new setup?

Please throw your ideas out there and help with some of the things I may be overlooking.

I will appreciate all the assistance I gain.... Thanks in advance :toast

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
As far as I know both the camry and/or the NA MK2 axles should work, if you have the ECU all you need is to modify the harness (interface it) to work with the MK1 chassis electrical system and it should all work, AC and all. I can't remember now but I think the celica's speedo is mechanical just like the MK1's but since the final gear ratio is not the same it may not be accurate.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
blown59 said:
I have sourced an engine, harness and ecu:banana ... working on the 6spd. Its beginning to get exciting here:excited

Now my questions:

- Will i have to get a new guage cluster or will my speedo and tach work with this setup...if so, ill have just started to make power as i enter red :thumbup

I'm wondering if I could just not wire the electronic speedo/odom if thats what the celica is equiped with and just go 86 mechanical?

- Im assuming the 2zz is an obd2, what will i need to do to upgrade? add an extra O2

- planning on trying MKII n/a or camry half shafts, hoping these will work

Im sure there is soooo much more in the electrical dept I may be overlooking. I intend to run my a/c, though wondering what conflict I may have trying to control with the '86 setup. Is it possible to make compatable with the new setup?

Please throw your ideas out there and help with some of the things I may be overlooking.

I will appreciate all the assistance I gain.... Thanks in advance :toast
how much did you get the 2zz for and where?

Dennis :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Papo J said:
As far as I know both the camry and/or the NA MK2 axles should work, if you have the ECU all you need is to modify the harness (interface it) to work with the MK1 chassis electrical system and it should all work, AC and all. I can't remember now but I think the celica's speedo is mechanical just like the MK1's but since the final gear ratio is not the same it may not be accurate.
The mk3 guys talk about installing a knock sensor... wondering if that is to interface with their system or if i would need to interface with mine as well?

wont i need to install an extra O2 sensor if the system is obd2?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I think that if you have the harness and ECU the additional O2 sensor shouldn't be a problem to install at all if it is an obd2 ECU. The engine should still have the knock sensor installed, doesn't it? You should try contacting Bradd B. in the MK3 section, he did the swap already and may be able to give you some good tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts