MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
You recall what didn't work out about it? I thought it was more that he didn't have a good tune that caused the engine damage.. not that the software didn't work?

In my 2GRFE, I'm running 5.2 psi (6lb wastegate spring) with 440cc injectors, DW200 fuel pump, Aeromotive AFPR with 93oct on a R9KTuned reflash and it seems to be running great with my midmount turbo setup. Plan on trying to dyno soon and hopefully turn the boost up slightly with my EBC.

I've had issues with cv axles lately when launching so I may switch my wastegate spring out for a 4psi one. I'll use a "boost by gear" feature so that in 1st gear I can hit 4psi wastegate pressure then have increased boost pressure in the other gears.
R9KTuned got back to me today, they quoted 400$ to flash the stock ECU if you replace the injectors with 550's and maintain 45-50 fuel psi (New pump and AFPR). Doesn't sound bad if you're not looking to get involved in the standalone world

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey buddy, there are other participants in this thread, who may have other ideas about what it's about. Maybe if you don't like it, you can quit reading the thread.
That's great. Let's continue the passive aggressive forum culture of telling people their idea is stupid and they should have known the answer was on page 1337 of Google.... Why not just give constructive info without the jabs, you're obviously extremely knowledgeable on these motors.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
R9KTuned got back to me today, they quoted 400$ to flash the stock ECU if you replace the injectors with 550's and maintain 45-50 fuel psi (New pump and AFPR). Doesn't sound bad if you're not looking to get involved in the standalone world
Is that 550 cc/min injectors on a non-vacuum referenced setup? And are they referring to using EV14 style injectors or the 5th gen 3S-GTE injectors (which I think are 525 cc/min or so). Either way, doesn't seem like much fuel for a turbo setup if it's not vacuum referenced.

Every 4 psi of boost is going to lose about 10% your fuel volume given your differential pressure is going down. Honestly, a non-vac referenced fuel pressure setup with a MAF sounds like a fueling nightmare. You know the mass of air going into the engine, but you really have no way to account for the differential pressure that could be fighting the engine. This is much easier to do NA, because it will be consistent, but a turbo could flow significantly different amounts of air at a given manifold absolute pressure depending on what the hot side looks like.

Maybe it works better than I'm thinking, but it seems like it'd be challenging to get it to run truly good.

This is also where I get really suspicious of guys making claims about remote tunes where the devil is in the details. A good tuner should be able to answer all of the above questions, and also have demonstrated running of the engine on that tune (IMO).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes you can run 4 psi on stock injectors. I did. You will need to run more fuel pressure. Get a wideband, it get's lean up top. Log with torque pro, timing and afr. I can screen shot the PID for knock. I would run 440's and use adapters. I posted a link on here once. It's cheap. Stock ecu will not be happy with anything larger.

I now run AMG 440's, Frankenstiens ecu for the rev increase and it's piggybacked with a Mapecu3. I only use Mapecu3 to pull timing under boost. I am not controlling fuel other than with fuel pressure to keep the afr good underboost. The stock ecu pulls enough fuel on ltft and stft and doesn't throw a code. I can run 10 psi but usually 7-8 psi

21 - 25 of 25 Posts