MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 2GR, 89k mi. Both weep holes on the water pump have magic pink candy in them. Is this normal weeping, or is it toast? Seems it’s possible to change once the engine is installed if a bit of a pain.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's more crust than I'd like to see. I def camp in the "spend time and money now to save it later" zone, so personally I'd put a new pump on her and not think about it for another 90k

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I would call that no good. The waterpump is at the very limit of what you can do in-car. Not a fun job. On a MR2 even worse than the FWD vehicles. Get an Aisin pump.

PS. I would also do the valve cover gaskets, which includes the o-rings for the oil passages in the camshaft towers. This actually does make a big difference to the vvt function. When the o-rings inside (there are three in each valve cover) harden up and leak pressure, the cam gears will rattle.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She’s getting every gasket except head gaskets refreshed. Guess I’ll add a WP to that. $800 engine with $500 of fresh bits on it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
She’s getting every gasket except head gaskets refreshed. Guess I’ll add a WP to that. $800 engine with $500 of fresh bits on it. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds about right for an MR2 repair..... hope you don't have the same drama I had trying yo bleed the cooling system. Much harder than a 3S in my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts