MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am thinking of swapping my gen 4 3sgte for a boosted 2gr , I really like the 3sgte am making around 350 rwhp on stock internals but I want 650 rwhp on pump gas.

so I am looking to forged rods and pistons ? for 3sgte it is very easy to find forged parts but for 2gr I did not find other than mwr :unsure: . what do you recommend guys ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm running a stock pistoned 2GR with turbo. I'm not pushing the boost needed or could I to make 650 whp but I doubt you'll need sleeves. Monkey Wrench has forged, I think 9:1 pistons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running a stock pistoned 2GR with turbo. I'm not pushing the boost needed or could I to make 650 whp but I doubt you'll need sleeves. Monkey Wrench has forged, I think 9:1 pistons.
Nice , how much power and torque you are making currently ? The 2gr block have open deck cylinder liners , so yes they may crack . generally I prefer Darton dry sleeves but they are not available for 2gr (shame) only wet sleeves are available which take much more work to install and the stock head gasket may not work with them .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3mz block looks very appealing , with closed deck and steel cylinder liners. for a boosted application I think that 650 rwhp on pump gas is achievable. I have to take a look for aftermarket support , I prefer to buy on shelf internal engine parts instead of custom.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice , how much power and torque you are making currently ? The 2gr block have open deck cylinder liners , so yes they may crack . generally I prefer Darton dry sleeves but they are not available for 2gr (shame) only wet sleeves are available which take much more work to install and the stock head gasket may not work with them .
I don't know, I never dynoed it. I could guess on airflow from torque pro but it would just be a guess. I'm running 4 -5 psi, it was up to 8 psi momentarily before the wastegate porting with no knock that I could hear and timing didn't get pulled anymore. Honda guys run pretty high boost on open deck aluminum blocks, more than you would need. It should be close to doable on pump gas with 9:1 pistons. Detonation is the destroyer of everything. Just don't get greedy with timing and don't let it knock. If there's knock, you could just accept whatever power that ends up being at. The torque that goes with even 600 whp will probably be enough if you are used to 350 whp

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I was just guessing if he wanted to go big... 🤷‍♂️ ...then maybe sleeve (not cheap) but ya the MW parts you’d certainly need... I bet a built TT 2GR could do some big damage with high HP.... for me it’s the only swap

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just guessing if he wanted to go big... 🤷‍♂️ ...then maybe sleeve (not cheap) but ya the MW parts you’d certainly need... I bet a built TT 2GR could do some big damage with high HP.... for me it’s the only swap
Of course sleeve is always a good thing . I have tried Darton wet sleeve ( the only available solution for 2gr at the moment ) in the past for LS engine and I did not like it. because it will weaken the mains webbing and there is a chance for coolant leak not to mention the special coolant and have to use and re-torquing the head bolt after heat cycling the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A 3MZ v 2GR is like a Supra 7M comparred to a 2JZ. Port it all you want, it will never be a 3.5 2GR
you are right 2gr is much more efficient than 3mz , so it will make me reach my goal easier , I guess that I am going to test the limit of 2gr block my self :LOL: .

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Of course sleeve is always a good thing . I have tried Darton wet sleeve ( the only available solution for 2gr at the moment ) in the past for LS engine and I did not like it. because it will weaken the mains webbing and there is a chance for coolant leak not to mention the special coolant and have to use and re-torquing the head bolt after heat cycling the engine.
Ya I’ve heard that can trigger over issues.... I still like the motors... toyota techs, the guys I’ve talked too like the motors, but there only made to be just good enough... running them hard is not advised... I say BS

·
Registered
70 Posts
The stock 2GR is a torque monster. I almost spun mine in the rain, turning left at a stoplight in the rain. I can't imagine 650hp.
First off what tires and size are on your car? Do you have an lsd? Seriously, it's the rain, no one ever expects to have great traction in the rain. Now in the dry, with a proper tune that that slowly feeds in the boost it can be manageable. Please add more detail to your post so we can get a more accurate picture of your situation.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Since you asked:
1993 Turbo chassis..second gear, LSD, 17 inch wheels, slightly uphill...was just about to upshift into third. Backend got loose, so I pedaled it ( the wrong thing to do!) and she straightened out!
I used to do the same thing when it was still a turbo car, but it never got loose, not even in the rain. I have Wilhelm coilovers with RCA's. No rear sway bar, stock front bar. I don't remember what the spring rates are, Koni shocks. Tires are quite new, properly inflated 215-40 BFG G-Force.
I know about car tuning. I live in Seattle, so yeah, I know a little about driving in the rain, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts