MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody

I may be crazy with this idea, and any advice is greatly appreciated. I am planning to do a 2GR swap to my 1991 MR2 starting this winter. The car currently has a Gen 3 3SGTE with a 93+ LSD E153. The body harness was swapped for gen 3 3sgte harness as well. The gauge cluster is still setup as a 1991 (so mechanical speedo). I'll be doing some interior mods as well while I am doing the swap, which requires me to remove the dash.

I am planning to install a 2001 Celica GTS gauge cluster. I know the stock MR2 wiring would take alot of redoing to make this possible. I came up with the idea of using the Celica GTS dash harness (OBD2 port and plugs will be all there), matched to an MR-S body harness (wiring lengths are similar to stock), and then 2GR harness from a Rav4. Ideally, when I sell the 3S, I'd like to sell the engine harness with it.

Am I making more work for myself? Are there any steps I'm missing? Would it be better to just get pigtails and make my own harness (I'm not the greatest with wiring, but I could manage)? And when it's all said and done, which sensors, like coolant temp, oil temp, etc. would I use (2GR, GTS, or MR-S)?

Again, I'd appreciate any input and advice.

·
Premium Member
12,990 Posts
More work for yourself... without a doubt yes!

Don't forget that the body and dash harnesses aren't all there is to it, you also need to attach the dash harness to the frunk harness, and it is highly unlikely that it will just plug in. Same goes for the other end where the body harness has to hook up to the tail lights.

Regarding sensors, when doing the 2GR swap the "normal" way, the only additional sensor is the coolant temp sensor for the gauge. The rest are all the standard 2GR sensors. Most feed the ECU. I'm not sure how that would be done using the new cluster and wiring. Does the Celica cluster expect stuff like engine temperature over a CAN bus? If so, the 2GR ECU should be able to supply it, but I don't know if the two will talk right or not. The oil pressure switch feeds the gauge cluster same as the stock one on the MR2. There is no stock oil temp sensor.

All in all, it sounds like a huge pain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alex,
Thanks for the reply. I was kind of figuring it would end up being a pain. One of the reasons I chose the 2000-2001 Celica GTS cluster was because of a couple write-ups I have read that mentioned it was possible. I totally forgot about the frunk cluster and tail lights.

I might be back to square one. I really just want an electronic speedo with mph displayed, and an 8k or so redline.

I wonder if I can use the stock gen 3 body harness then, and add a CAN line if the gauge cluster accepts it. I have to do some more research on that it seems.

Also, sometime in the future, I'll be ordering your brake kit and custom koni coilovers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After digging through all of the celica gt-s wiring and the frunk wiring, that those two sets will be incompatible without way too much time and effort. I would be better off starting from scratch at that point. And that is before I could even dig into the compatibility of the 2gr ecu and the dash. So I think I'll scrap this for now. When I have more time (haha) I will take another look just for curiosity and maybe it could help someone in the future.

Since my cable speedo is at the point of failing, I do need something. I'm now looking at Haltech/Racepak IQ3 digital dashes since I can't be bothered to use the metric system anywhere else but work. If anyone has an IQ3 hooked up to their 2GR MR2, please help me out. I can't seem to find any information on whether the 2GR CAN signal is compatible and what else would be required besides the basic wiring laid out in the owners manual.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could get a GPS based speedo. I have an AEM unit in my car and it fits in the gauge pillar. There are larger sizes available if your looking for "dash sized". They usually have an output for data loggers too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts