MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Grover.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rN4o8CkWdRzgVRdS2
He's a very lazy guy with no turbo and an automatic. Recently, he decided 4 cylinders was a bit much and stopped using one of them. I got him a present about a year ago and I think it's time to get greasy.
My favorite girl has limited use of her left arm and my dad lost half a leg back in the navy and I'd like to let them both enjoy Grover's resurrection so I'm keeping him automatic. I noticed that rav4's have their drivetrains hanging from the rails like Grover so their trans end covers are nice and tidy w/o a motor mount so I picked one of those up. Preliminary measurements indicate that some clearancing may be required but I have a shiny new plasma cutter and no fear whatsoever.
I've been in contact with Marc and ordered a few things from him in hopes of getting the heavy parts fitted soon.
As I go along I add items to the various shopping carts and/or wish/watch lists on Frankenstein, eBay, rockauto, summit, etc and as I come across extra money I'll be checking out with whatever is most relevant to the next step.
Marc indicated that he knew of a few other 2gr auto projects in the works but didn't know how any of them were going. I will try to keep up on this thread regarding the transmission pert of the job in case anyone is interested. So far, it looks like IL be fabricating 3 mounts since the auto has completely different mounting locations. If I had a solid knowledge of cad I could 3d print them and have them cnc'd or cast in aluminum but all I have printed is a smartwater bottle spacer for a suburban cup holder. And even that took 3 tries. Anyway, a few bushings and some steel is just my cup of tea.
So far I've managed to slide the extremely messy motor and trans out from under the precariously perched body.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtIjvdPH8tACxoI23
Yet another reason God made Jeeps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, here's a very overdue update. Grover has a few thousand miles on his 2gr/u-151 combination, now. The first 50 or so were a bit wonky. The transmission is controlled by the ECU which lives by a very strict set of rules which were not known to me at the time. It really needs to get a specific vss signal to determine shift points. This signal is not available from the transmission itself. The cars these trannys come from get this signal from the ABS module. My ABS module does not supply a signal. Lots of research revealed that I needed approximately 2000 5v square waves per mile. A dakota digital sgi-100bt translator with an autometer 5290 speed sensor did the trick. The DD box also fixed my tach so that was a nice bonus. A couple of calculations to account for the smaller diameter tires than the Rav4 had and now it does all the right things.
I'm still waiting for the correct maf to get rid of the P0171 & P0174 cel issue but it's running great and averaging 28.8 mpg. And I don't let miss Daisy ride along.
Today, some new rolling stock got bolted on so I thought I'd share a few pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,876 Posts
While I can't say I like automatics... I must admit the 2GR with a modern, quick shifting auto, particularly one with a good sport mode and the possibility of a paddle shift... that's an interesting concept. I don't know if the U151 tics any of those boxes, but regardless, congrats on doing something few if any other people have done!

Reactions: Drag0nz75
1 - 8 of 8 Posts