MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this article from MR2.com: http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

I'm paraphrasing the article because it's quite lengthy.

The article claims that the makers of modern Synthetic oils (Mobil, Amsoil, Neo, etc.) are confident that their synthetic oils will last 25,000 between oil changes, or about "six to seven times longer than conventional petroleum oil change intervals"

In the section about oil filters, the article says that a lot of the sludge and gunk that clogs up an oil filter comes from the byproducts of conventional petroleum oil breaking down from heat, which synthetics provide dramatically less of, if not any gunk at all. It does mention that the burning of diesel fuel or turbocharging introduces greater impurities into the synthetics, increasing the change interval. Still, if you use synthetic oil, you can go quite a bit longer before changing your filter. The article mentioned that the paper filter element itself will eventually break down and become ineffective, at which point you'd want to get new paper.

Recently, I read an article in one of the tuner magazines like Super Street or Turbo Magazine featuring a steel mesh "reusable" oil filter. I can't find the exact filter they were talking about, but a close approximation would be this steel mesh reusable filter used on motorcycles pictured here

Combining all three nuggets of information, do any of you out there think that the use of Mobil 1 in conjunction with a steel mesh reusable oil filter would allow a MR2 Turbo owner to run for 25,000 miles only topping off oil as needed? It sounds crazy, I know. Ever since I've had my MR2 I've done a filter change with every oil change, every 3,000 miles with Mobil 1. I buy my Mobil 1 at WalMart because it's the cheapest at $20 for 5 quarts. I've driven my MR2 about 20,000 since owning it, so that's roughly $150 invested in oil and filters so far. It would be nice to extend the change intervals.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I change the amsoil oil of my girlfriend's tercel each 25k miles with a amsoil filter change in between(12,5k miles) without any problems yet. My brother-in-law has been doing it since 98 and his 97 accord has now 350k miles and still running strong.

BUT, if your car is eating oil like every turbo car is doing, it is not worth it IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
901 Posts
There was a "study" that showed that Mobil 1 might be good for 12,000 to 18,000, which they figured by measuring the imperfections after running it in a Camaro for that long. I'm not sure how rigorous the study was, and it was only one car in the sample, so take that for what it's worth.

Personally, I go 6000 or 7000 miles between changes, using Mobil 1 and an OEM filter.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
remember oil isnt just for lubrication and heat reduction... it also transferes all the little imperfections in the oil, i guess call it carbon that is in the engine. so u would want to change it periodically so that the engine isnt just moving all the crap around.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I also read an article from the BMW guys where some actually tried the 25,000 mile interval and when they were done it was WAAAY overdue

considering how much money you spend on other maintenance, premium fuel, insurance, initial purchse cost, mods, etc.... it seems like a silly thing to skimp on. 3000 is certainly probably overkill. but I would play it much safer than 25,000....

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You can pull 25k oil changes on turbo diesels. On turbocharged gas engines, it seems stingy on the owner's part

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
3sgte's are notoriously bad for blowby.. and more blowby means more oil contamination. More contamination means less lubrication and more wear.

I wouldnt do it. The engine -might- be perfectly fine with it but the turbocharger is much more sensitive to contaminated oils.. especially ball bearing units, if you have one.

And yes, no one can put a mile figure on oils.. because its rate of degradation is relative to a) engine condition and more importantly, b) the way you drive it. A good example is my most recent dyno tune... She spent 7 hours on the dyno .. much of the time at high load and oil temperatures probably got pretty silly. Afterward (went through less than 2 tanks of fuel).. the oil looked like it had been in the car for 1500 miles. But the wheels had only gone around 300 miles.

This is on Mobil 1 by the way

-Tristan

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If I were looking to be conservative I might run the oil for 10k miles with filter changes every ~3k miles. Synthetics don't break down near as fast as conventional oils, but they still get contaminated and filter changes will help lessen the wear caused by the contamination.
That metal mesh one would work, but I can't imagine it handling the minuscule particles that even crappy oil filters pick up. Remember that with motorcycles longevity is nowhere near the top of the priority list

I think the 3S-GTE is a performance motor and deserves to be treated like one. Conservative approaches to maintaining it are why it is "not as reliable" as the 5S-FE. If you want a fast car you have to spend money, to buy and maintain it.

If you want to change your oil every 25k miles buy a corolla, or a civic, or anything else with an economy motor.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
MR2000GTE said:
If I were looking to be conservative I might run the oil for 10k miles with filter changes every ~3k miles. Synthetics don't break down near as fast as conventional oils, but they still get contaminated and filter changes will help lessen the wear caused by the contamination.
That metal mesh one would work, but I can't imagine it handling the minuscule particles that even crappy oil filters pick up. Remember that with motorcycles longevity is nowhere near the top of the priority list

I think the 3S-GTE is a performance motor and deserves to be treated like one. Conservative approaches to maintaining it are why it is "not as reliable" as the 5S-FE. If you want a fast car you have to spend money, to buy and maintain it.

If you want to change your oil every 25k miles buy a corolla, or a civic, or anything else with an economy motor.
I do not believe that replacing the filter will make the oil any more clean. The filter doesnt degrade over such a short period to my knowledge. It doesnt so quickly allow bigger particles through. At most it just becomes clogged.. but not every 3k miles!

-Tristan

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Amsoil recommends a 7K mile change interval. I change it at 3K when I'm running their long life synthetic. I'm still running dino juice though, have only gone ~2.5k miles into my 7k dino juice break-in period before I switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
another thing to keep in mind (occured to me on the way to work this morning)... when you drain oil through the sump plug, you usually only get about 80% of the engine oil out.. anyone that has pulled a motor out and tore it down will know that theres always 500lm to a litre or so left in there regardless of how you drain it.

If you stretch the oil to the end of its life then do a change, 20% of what you have in there will still be very contaminated and 'dead'. Another reason to change regularly.

Im sure all the mobil tests have their merit, but Im also sure they wouldnt take detrimental factors like this into account..

-Tristan

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Oil change interval on our RSX is 10k, but that is a very modern, NA engine. On the new boxster it's 20k!!!! I don't know if it's a good idea for older engines though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well see, like I said in the original post, I have been changing my oil every 3k or less. But when you consider $25 per oil change (synthetic and filter) if you can *safely* go longer, you'll save a little extra money and hastle over the years. That's the key; safely. I put 25,000 into the thread title to attract attention beacause it would be absurd to go that long. But 7-10k is still nice... better than what I've been doing.

So is that the median consensus? About 5k-7k with synthetic on a 3S-GTE?

·
3,519 Posts
The recomended oil change interval on my MKI is 10k miles or 12 months. That is insane! But with my distributor leaking oil the way it is it kinda changes itself. But I run mobil 1 and still change the oil every 3k-4k miles.

MR2000GTE said:
Be careful how you throw that around....... I have a 89 corolla GT-s.... it is not a regular econo-car..... But not quite a sportscar. But the oil change interval is just as important on it as on anything else. :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
flupstar said:
its rate of degradation is relative to a) engine condition and more importantly, b) the way you drive it.
i think this part is key. i've never financially been in a position to drive my car the way it SHOULD be driven, but there was a time that i drove it harder than i do now. back then, i'd change my oil at 2500 miles religiously ... and i was running Redline at $9 per quart! was it expensive? sure, but as someone mentioned, it's the price you pay for having a sports car. you buy it and then you have to MAINTAIN it ... and i thought that it was best. i think cutting corners is quite short-sighted! it's not so much the people that buy a sports car and never modify it, and drive with some restraint - they're not usually the issue. however, it's the ones that modify the car and consistently drive it like they stole it, and then want to stretch 125,000 miles out of oil and use 87 octane, then complain when the turbo has a coronary or the pistons think it's more fun outside the block - they're the issue.

since i've been a hell of a lot more conservative in my driving habits these days, i've opened up the oil change interval a bit. i now use AMSOIL because my cousin ran some tests and found it to increase mileage and i knew them by reputation in the rotary community (and if you think the 3SGTE is a hardworking engine, then check out a rotary someday). so i signed up to become a distributor and now i change my oil every 4000 to 5000 miles on both the Rx-7 and MR2. when i get back to a point where i can drive my car for fun again, as opposed to just for transportation, i'll go back to 2500 miles.

EDIT:
by the way, i also use an additive to my fuel that helps to coat the cylinders and combustion chambers and i am VERY, VERY anal about using only Toyota filters.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i always change my oil right around 3K, and i use Toyota filters in all my Toyotas

1 - 20 of 52 Posts