MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short.... a bout a month ago, i noticed a knocking at idle. after checking everything out, i concluded that the noise must be coming from the bottom end. i decided to try 20w50 to see if it helps band aid the problem, and it definetly has.

now my question is this... are there any major side effects to running oil this thick in a 3sgte? will the turbo get sufficient lubrication?

the only thing i can really think of, is that there is probably a much higher chance of sludge build up in the future, and that i should probably change this oil ever 2,000 miles or so (assuming my original engine noise dosnt develop into a larger problem before then).

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
The only negative ov a heavier oil is in cold climtes, it will not flow as readily when cold.

I ran 15/50 in my '91T except November through Feb, when I switched to 10/30.

And always Mobil 1.

bill

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks. ill keep the 20w50 in there, and just make sure to warm up the motor before driving it, like i have been

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
lagos said:
cool thanks. ill keep the 20w50 in there, and just make sure to warm up the motor before driving it, like i have been
Once its warmed up, the 20/50 will flow just fine. The negative of the heavier oil is it does not flow as readily until the engine is warmed up. You may not have full flow on startup.

That's the reason i did not run 20/50 during the cold months, even though I ALWAYS fully warmed the engine before driving.

bill

bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts