MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get some info to find out how high you can rev the 20v 4age's before valve float occurs??? Anyone know?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine shuts off a 8,400 rpm but

I'm not sure it's valve float. It feels like an electronic rev limit. It's too bad as it feels like it's still pulling hard. Bob('85 since new)

·
Registered
217 Posts
would the valves really float? Doesn't the 20v head NOT use hydraulic lifters but shims instead? I thought valve float was a product of hydraulic lifters not being able to keep up at the high rpms...back in my dsm days guys would use solid lifter to get another 2k rpm out of those 4g63's.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
I floated the valves in my AE86 a few times before I switched to Mobil1. I was using Castrol 20w50 back then (1985), and it was suggested by TRD to use synthetic oil. It worked.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
well i can hit 8600 on stock ecu. i'd just be happy with my tach sliding past 9k and off the dial a bit before rev-limiter, so 9200 or so is my goal with stock cams. now i assume if you wanna push the little puppy to 10k or above, you're also talking about aftermarket cams and such too?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
i read from one mechanic that the stock setup is good till 10k, i dont know if you would want to run it that high all day, but with upgraded valve springs you probably could, and even if you didnt swap cams having that extra area availible would be very useful in sections of a track were you have to usually shift right before you have to brake, less shifting, less sitting idle, more kicking butt, also you could find the ideal shiftpoint(looking at dyno of blacktop, seems the rev limiter comes in before the usual best place to shift, or just at it) and in that you could take a engine that used to be peaky, and make it rather high reving, rather then peaky for say

i do know the 2zz supposidly has a ideal shiftpoint of 8700, its limited to 8400 though electronically, but one celi owner had done alot to get the most out of his celi, and by lowering the big cam engagment point(5500 down from 6200) raising the redline(8800), putting slicks on, and adding a CAI(big whoop haha) he ran a best ET of 13.7, really impressive, could probably do similar things to help out the 20v!

okay blabble off sorry hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts