MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Call me crazy, but I find a good place to tune WOT to be the freeway because it takes longer to rev through the rpm range. In fifth gear I'll do 3-5k, then forth gear 5-6k, then 3rd gear, 6k to redline. Just try not to look at the laptop for too long ;)

· Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Brent, at 5 psi you should be getting a very noticeable increase in torque. Have you looked at your datalog to see if your IATs are getting higher and higher? This would indicate an intercooler getting heatsoaked. How are your AFRs? I would try to stick around 12.0. How's your timing?

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Superpilun, thanks for the tips. I'll give what you're saying a shot, I hadn't really thought of using the different gears for the RPM ranges like that.
Here is the datalog from my last, heat-soaked, 5psi run -Datalog
And the map I was using then - Original Map
And the map that I've made now, with a larger range (165kpa) - New Map

The AFRs dip below 12 as the boost gets higher. The max boost I hit was about 5.3 and the AFRs were about 11.1 and the injectors got all the way up to 92%. I definitely need to install my open-element IAT for situations like this.
As far as timing, I haven't touched it. I'm using the settings from one of JamesL's setups. I was terrified that I was getting knock or maxing out the injectors or something at high RPMs, but it turns out that I had set a rev limit there and forgotten about it!

· Top Secret MR2
2,749 Posts
My god that's hideous! Is there any reason the exhaust has to come out the top of the trunk?

At least cut a hole in the side of the car so it can flow straight out lol.

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think it's beautiful :thumbup

I'll be turning it down and having it exit from the side. The reason it's turned up like that is because the wideband o2 sensor is supposed to be positioned between the ten and two o'clock positions, but when the pipe is turned down the sensor is on the bottom (which can ruin it because of residue collection).

And it looks like I still have plenty of budget left for tires, better intercooler, and injectors. So far I've spent $1200-1300 so I have some budget to work with. :evillaugh

· Top Secret MR2
2,749 Posts
well good luck with it, it seems ur the only one on the forum doing the 2007 GR race.

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Progress has slowed because I'm between jobs right now.
I've re-done the intercooler piping and installed a proper air filter onto a short section of exhaust piping. So now the air is really filtered.
At the moment I'm experimenting with not having an intercooler, because I want to see if boost will come on sooner. The problem is, I don't have the right bends to make the piping really short, so it's a little longer than I'd like for the experiment.
The new intake setup required pretty drastic changes to the fuel tuning, too.
At the moment, the powerband is okay at full boost but crazy strong at the very high RPMs (I still have a rev limiter at 6,000 RPM to keep from maxing out the stock injectors).
I had closed the gap on the spark plugs pretty far, so I'm gonna try opening them a little to see if it'll move the powerband a little lower.
I'm also gonna get an aluminum mandrel U bend or two from a friend of mine to try to help out the intake flow (the setup I had before, in the pics, was really really small inside!)

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Definitely. I've already bought a pump and mister nozzle that I am going to use to experiment with water injection. I was using it to spray my intercooler with water, but doing so made no appreciable difference.

· Registered
277 Posts
you could cut holes in the top of the trunk lid then put fans in those holes sort of like the engine lid fans you see on the mkII's. the whole thig would probably only cost about $150 less if you get junk yard fans ... plus it wouldnt look too bad if you going to flat black the car.

· Registered
938 Posts
What portions of the contest are you looking to have this car excell at?
I'm not sure that the fans would help more then the scoops in a drag race.
Auto-x it may not be worth it either.

My money's still on the water/alcohol injection for giving you the most bang for the buck.

· Registered
277 Posts
im just saying for the ambient trunk temp the fans will work great ... but if your going wiht a under trunk scoop just rember that for air to go in it has to come out so you'll need to have backwards wrx scoop like on jekyls car... let me know if that didnt make sense lol.
-Walter

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Eddie - I've read really good things about those 710s, I'm definitely going to try to work them into my budget (if not, I'll just go with Azenis)
Mr2Turbo - The backwards scoop is what I was thinking, too. Either that, or somehow open up the area where the license plate goes..,

Oh, and I just got some GZE injectors from a friend, so I'll plop those in and see if I can finally rev past 6,000 rpm without 90%+ duty cycle!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.